DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   nyc/nj/ct jvc hd users? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/121383-nyc-nj-ct-jvc-hd-users.html)

Rob Katz May 11th, 2008 02:20 PM

nyc/nj/ct jvc hd users?

just wondering if there are many jvc hd shooters out there.

sometimes it seems like the woods are filled only w/pannie hvx200s, sony ex1s and canon a1 folks.

if u use the jvc as your primary acquisition tool, care to shout out?

thanks in advance

be well

rob

William Hohauser May 11th, 2008 04:23 PM

Yes!

At least one here.

Giuseppe Pugliese May 11th, 2008 05:02 PM

Another New Yorker here.

Jaadgy Akanni May 11th, 2008 07:38 PM

Another over here.

Rob Katz May 11th, 2008 07:45 PM

nice to read/hear/see the chorus but please tell more!

which camera?

type of work?

why jvc cameras when the most others screams "sony-panasonic-canon"?

i look forward to your responses.

be well

rob

Giuseppe Pugliese May 11th, 2008 09:25 PM

HD110 owner
Letus35 adapter
Nikon primes
Shoot just about everything HD 24p

Lots of commercial work, Music videos, and TV shows. Primarily capturing to tape, but will be switching over to a DTE device.

I personally do not like the HVX200 at all, and yes i have used them. Me no like. Although looking at getting an HPX500 soon, not sure if we will keep the HD110.

Hands down the HD110 has a better image than all the other cameras in its prices range and then some. The lens is better than any built in lens all the other cameras has as well.

I will have a few large shoots coming up very soon, and might need 2nd and 3rd cameras and operators... Gigs are paid and are mostly in NYC.

If you guys are interested let me know, please let me know. <<<<<
Film@NYFilmStudios.com

Rob Katz May 11th, 2008 09:55 PM

Giuseppe-

Thank you for the quick reply and many details

Do you edit in Final Cut?

If so, care to share your workflow?

Do you deliver in HD or SD? If SD, then I imagine SD DVD?

Once again, if so, care to share your workflow?

Thank u in advance for sharing your obvious experience.

Be well

Rob

Sean Adair May 12th, 2008 05:55 AM

Hi Rob,
We're scheduled to meet sometime, but this is a useful forum topic to collect members of this (elite!) group that are geographically near for potential multicam projects, physical review of gear, and possible sharing/support in need.

I shoot corporate projects, documentaries, multicam performance and instruction, Motion and special effect cinematic footage etc with my JVC.

I think these cameras speak for themselves in their budget range, and Rob doesn't have to dig deep in this forum to start parsing that out.

However, I'll try summing things up by describing this as a "cinematographer's choice". A person who is primarily a producer/director/editor who is getting equipment to do it all, may be more willing to compromise on the ergonomics and control of a pro-layout camera. An experienced DP coming from film or broadcast however, faces a number of frustrations with the lens control, form factor etc of "camcorder" originated compact designs.

This is a generality of course, but I'd even go so far as to say that this choice makes sense only for a committed user who is willing to learn details about control of the camera as well as a deeper understanding of cinematography generally. Beginners or more casual shooters could be better served by other HD choices.

I've used the Pana HD200 (before I bought my camera), and I wasn't happy with it at all. Good things were: nice picture out of the box, and feedback/playback of motion effects instantly in the camera.
Bad things were: focus and anything on the lens were hard to see on the inferior viewfinder, setting up formats and capabilities was unintuitive, the P2 workflow was expensive (especially to do securely), and the camera was a bear to handle - clumsy for the hand, no place on the shoulder (this was a biggy).

Jay Webster May 12th, 2008 08:04 AM

Another One

Hi Rob,
Good idea to have a list of NY owners. I recently moved to Long Island from NYC.
I Come from mostly 16/35mm film and some Beta Sp work. Mostly commercial and corporate with some documentary etc. I was looking to replace my Aaton 16mm camera and decided on the JVC due to form factor, picture quality and lens control. Truth be told, it also just felt more like a real camera rather than shooting with a toaster. :>)

JVC HD110U
BR-HD50 Deck
Adobe On Location
Sennhieser audio
Lowell & some older Mole Richardson lighting etc.
Learning CS3/ Premiere/After Effects etc.

Cheers!

Giuseppe Pugliese May 12th, 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Katz (Post 875678)
Giuseppe-

Thank you for the quick reply and many details

Do you edit in Final Cut?

If so, care to share your workflow?

Do you deliver in HD or SD? If SD, then I imagine SD DVD?

Once again, if so, care to share your workflow?

Thank u in advance for sharing your obvious experience.

Be well

Rob

Well as for my workflow, I edit in FCP and Vegas pro 8.

Workflow for FCP is pretty simple now. For the mtv show the footage is shot on tape, the masters are brought into fcp via deck or camera, depending on where the deck is that day... The capture settings in fcp are HDV for everything. for us its a quick and simple setting, it sets everything automatically. Its all 720p 24fps footage. The footage is mixed with other camera footage from different cameras. we do not use prores for input.

As far as the output this inst handled by me, so wouldn't be able to tell you at this point. I know everything is edited in its HDV settings and then i hand it off to another person.

For Vegas pro 8 its extremely simple, just select 1280x720 24p setting and capture, its all native and the best workflow out there for the camera still.

on another note, its very nice to see all these users so close by, this will be great for multicam shoots. This is a great "card swap" for everyone. And as i mentioned before, I do contact out other shooters at times when we are using the jvc cameras. We most of the time rent a Varicam for our work, this is our favorite camera production wise. But when we work on the smaller budget gigs, I use my own hd110 to cut costs, so this will be great to know others out there.

William Hohauser May 12th, 2008 04:14 PM

HD-100, mostly interviews, music (Jazz), one hip hop video, an exercise DVD, a news pilot and a couple of aborted films.

I'm sick of brick cameras and I wanted a real manual lens again.

Carl Martin May 12th, 2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Katz (Post 875511)
just wondering if there are many jvc hd shooters out there.

sometimes it seems like the woods are filled only w/pannie hvx200s, sony ex1s and canon a1 folks.

if u use the jvc as your primary acquisition tool, care to shout out?

thanks in advance

be well

rob

I love the camera. I use to use the HD100, and it is a great camera. I now use the HD250. These are in my opinion the best HDV cams on the market.