DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   extension viewfinder for the HD200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/121901-extension-viewfinder-hd200.html)

Matt Ryan May 18th, 2008 07:06 PM

extension viewfinder for the HD200?

Does anyone know if there is an extension viewfinder for the hd200? Maybe an aftermarket or something. I have been looking hard for one but have not had much luck. Let me know if you have any info. Thanks in advance.

Giuseppe Pugliese May 18th, 2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ryan (Post 879657)
Does anyone know if there is an extension viewfinder for the hd200? Maybe an aftermarket or something. I have been looking hard for one but have not had much luck. Let me know if you have any info. Thanks in advance.

There is no extension for the JVC ProHD cameras, I too had wanted one since mostly everything I shoot is for film or music video.

An extension viewfinder would be hard to make for the jvc as well because the viewfinders actual lcd size is so small the magnification would be very expensive to make, most viewfinder extensions are around $4,000 which is almost the price of the whole camera itself.

The viewfinder extension I use for the varicam is great, but I cant see that being adapted for such a small VF like the JVC's.... Would be cool if someone made it though.

Matt Ryan May 18th, 2008 07:23 PM

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe, Thats kind of a pain that there isnt one for the jvc. it would be great if there was one!

Adam Letch May 18th, 2008 09:04 PM

The Canons had their add-on EVF

for the XL1 range, it'd be a God send if JVC followed suit and provided a real EVF, also, the new DSLRs from Nikon and Sony have their high resolution 3inch lcd's now, it'd be good to see a flow on into these camera's so the need for external 7inch monitors for major productions won't be necessary.
And that it'd be offered as an upgrade, simply replace the LCD for a price not too silly of course,

Oh well, I'll wake up soon and will stop dreaming :-P

Adam

Robert Adams May 19th, 2008 01:22 AM

CRT viewfinder.

... There's not much wrong with this camera, is there? a couple of tiny structural issues (better mounting points for a carrying strap; and a ninety degree reorientation of the XLR inputs so they point up not out - or even ninety degree XLR male plugs as standard - would be my suggestions.)

But that viewfinder. Ouch. It is rubbish, isn't it?

Just as a matter of interest (and perhaps so that JVC can get some sense of price point - hi Carl, if you're reading this!) what would we be prepared to pay for a high quality, CRT, 1", black-and-white, plug and play viewfinder?

A mate broke the v/f on his Sony AP400 a few years back (well, had it broke for him. By a Serb soldier, with an AK47 round. From about 200 yards away). I think it cost him about £1,000 to replace. There's a similar unit available on Kitmondo for €925.

But those are 1.5" CRT units, and have a lot of controls (peaking, contrast, etc) built into the viewfinder.

If JVC could do a simple 1" viewfinder for under USD1,000/GBP500/€620 I'd be interested. Am I the only one? or are there enough of us to start a movement?!

Shaun Roemich May 19th, 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Adams (Post 879766)

Just as a matter of interest (and perhaps so that JVC can get some sense of price point - hi Carl, if you're reading this!) what would we be prepared to pay for a high quality, CRT, 1", black-and-white, plug and play viewfinder?

If JVC could do a simple 1" viewfinder for under USD1,000/GBP500/€620 I'd be interested. Am I the only one? or are there enough of us to start a movement?!

I'd be in for $1000 - 1500 for a B&W CRT.I don't HATE the shipped viewfinder but as a long time Sony Broadcast guy, I'd love to have the tack sharp focus ability of a high contrast, hi res CRT. Not sure how much one would affect the power consumption, tho. CRTs are power hungry beasts...

Giuseppe Pugliese May 19th, 2008 12:18 PM

You think there would be any way to make a color 1.5 HD viewfinder that had a universal jack for JVC Sony and PANASONIC ?

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to make most parts for cameras universal just by switching a few parts...

anyone doing modifications on things like that, wanna chime in?

there are AMAZING HD color viewfinders out there (verrry expensive) that could be used for the JVC if someone knew how to make a jack to convert the VF plug on the end to work with any camera, that would be amazing. Then you can rent any HD viewfinder you wanted...

Robert Adams May 19th, 2008 01:21 PM

crt viewfinder.

Well, I didn't think about power consumption. Good point, Shaun.

Guiseppe, my experience is that sharpness and contrast show up better in BW than in colour. You can always flip out the screen to check color balance. But the v/f is (to my mind) best in BW.

But coming back to the starting point of this thread, a decent BW CRT viewfinder would offer options for an extension tube. Which would also be a good thing.