Music profile video - UK Acoustic singer/songwriter - feedback appreciated at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Music profile video - UK Acoustic singer/songwriter - feedback appreciated

Hi,

I recently shot this music video profile using a HD111. I have posted this to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=122014

I hope this is not classed as cross posting but I didn't know which was the best place to post it. Hopefully this is ok.

I am very keen to hear comments and feedback on this project.

Thanks

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to say it didn't really grab me. The edit doesn't flow and it feels disjointed.

With an EPK like this you need to hook the viewers from the start and the best way to do that is by featuring the song. An EPK is supposed to sell the song and the artist, this does neither.

The lighting is a bit iffy in places and it could certainly do with a grade, but the biggest problem with this piece is the editing. The opening is just too weak.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm being honest.

Liam.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to say it didn't really grab me. The edit doesn't flow and it feels disjointed.

With an EPK like this you need to hook the viewers from the start and the best way to do that is by featuring the song. An EPK is supposed to sell the song and the artist, this does neither.

The lighting is a bit iffy in places and it could certainly do with a grade, but the biggest problem with this piece is the editing. The opening is just too weak.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm being honest.

Liam.
Hi Liam,

Thanks for your comments. Don't worry I asked for feedback to help me see what I maybe can't see (after hours of staring at it). Everyone I have shown it to thinks it is good. However I suspect that they are bound to say that...

This is my first shoot/edit of something like this so I didn't expect it to be 100%. However given the time and resources (it was done for free) I didn't think it was too bad really.

Please can you offer some more details on your lighting 'iffyness'? We used 2 800w redheads (one with diffusion and one bounced off a white card). I then used a small 200w fesnel for a back light. I ended up with a pinky skin colour when reviewing the footage (which I sort of corrected slightly with the fast colour corrector).

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Sorry for the slow response Alex, and I hope you find some of these comments useful, just ignore the ones you don't agree with:)

Given this is your first shoot and edit you did remarkably well.

By 'iffy' I was mainly referring to the composition and lighting in the interview shots.

Overall the lighting is a bit flat and lifeless. On the main interview, a short lighting strategy would be more flattering i.e. placing the key on the other side of the camera (right-side) so the side of the face nearest the camera is in shadow. Also, there's a little too much headroom in the shot, which makes him appear small.

The second interview looks like a grab, rather than a set up shot. The WB is off and he's too close to the wall. A little more subject and background separation would help.

Did you shoot the 'promo clips as well? I'd like to see more from that shoot if there is any. Also, you could grade the footage to give each set-up a distinctive look. Maybe a desaturated cool blue for the runway or beach and a warm and grainy feel for the studio stuff - that will add texture and help create a sense of depth.

I'd get rid of all the "High my name is... I live in..." kind of stuff, it just aint rock'n'roll. Stick a caption up at the start saying who he is and what the track is and just let a few bars play before getting in to dialog.

But as I said earlier for a first effort it's a good.

Hope that helps,

Liam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems