DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Panasonic vs. TDK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/122745-panasonic-vs-tdk.html)

Laszlo Horvath May 30th, 2008 02:19 PM

Panasonic vs. TDK

I always use Panasonic tape. Now I have an opportunity to buy a TDK for a great price. If I'm right the TDK is also dry lubricated just like a Panasonic. It's OK to change brand when both are "dry lubricated"?
Sombody can help me on this?

Laszlo Horvath June 1st, 2008 06:35 AM

Anybody? I really need to buy a tape. If anybody know this please let me know.
Thanks again: Laszlo

Kennedy Maxwell June 1st, 2008 08:35 AM

Why don't you just buy JVC tape. It is highly recommended and works just fine.
Ken

Dan Keaton June 1st, 2008 08:49 PM

Dear Laszlo,

I do not know of any scientific evidence that switching tapes hurts your camera.

But I do know of many stories where people have had problems after switching tapes.

Many people recommend and have great success with Panasonic tape.

Yes, you can save a few dollars with TDK, but I would first seach this forum. Others have reported problems with TDK.

It appears that the people that report the fewest problems are those who stick with one brand of tape. (But this is not scientific evidence either.)

Tim Dashwood June 1st, 2008 09:37 PM

You're playing with fire with either. The JVC ProHD stock sells for $10-12 each in Canada.

Phil Balsdon June 1st, 2008 10:02 PM

How much are you really going to save? Not much really when you consider you could be headed for trouble with an untried brand (in your particular camera). There are many stories of problems after people mixed stock. I have had an incident myself with a client who insisted his brand was much more reliable than the JVC HD Pro that I normally use, thankfully I always record to DR HD100 as well and I now refuse to use tape supplied by the client, unless it's JVC HD Pro.
One faulty job equals huge loss on a day's shooting especilly if the event can't be reshot, possibly loss of the client, client tells other clients about problem. Final result could be thousands of dollars as a result of trying to save a few bucks on each tape.

If the brand you are using now works without problems stick with it.

Carlos Rodriguez June 1st, 2008 10:39 PM

TDK works pretty good for me with very little drop outs. they run me a couple dollars a tape. I'm sure the ProHD tape will have a higher success rate. I'd make your client put out for the stock =-D

Laszlo Horvath June 2nd, 2008 12:10 PM

Thanks guys!

I think I just stay with Panasonic.

For Tim: thanks your advise but I use Panasonic since day one on both of my HD100s. (3years in September) and I had only one faulty tape. (physically was broken)

Thanks again
Laszlo

Robert Bec June 2nd, 2008 04:31 PM

Jvc ProHD 63min tapes are great you should be using them.

How much can you really save in the long run. Just include the cost in your price

Rob

Joseph A. Benoit June 2nd, 2008 11:30 PM

I used Panasonic tape for years wth 3 diff/ cameras never a problem.
just my opinion
Joe

Liam Hall June 3rd, 2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 886860)
I do not know of any scientific evidence that switching tapes hurts your camera.

I do. It does, so don't do it.

You should only be using JVC ProHD stock in your camera. Roll the dice if you can afford to ruin your camera or don't care about ruining the shot you are capturing.