HDV sd60p format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM   #1
New Boot

HDV sd60p format

I'm trying to capture some footage for slow mo that was shot on a JVC GY-HD110 using the HDV SD60P format.

For capture/editing I'm using Final Cut Pro 6. I've captured 720/24p footage with this camera and everything works fine.

I'm thinking that the Project / Sequence / Capture settings are matching the footage format. The camera (VTR) is recognized and can be controlled (ie stop, play, rewind, etc), but when I press play in the capture dialog, there is nothing on the preview window, nor does anything show when I select "capture now"

I created a new project called slowmo

For sequence settings under the GENERAL TAB

I've have:

Frame Size: 1280 x 720 with HDTV 720p (16:9) selected
Pixel Aspect Ration: Square
Editing Timebase: 59.94
QT Video Settings: I've tried Apple Intermediate Code and HDV720/60p

Under File > Audio/Video Settings

I've used HDV as the Capture Preset and HDV FireWire NDF as the Device Control Preset. I've also created a copy of the HDV Firewire and changed the frame rate to 29.97 (can't find one that can be changed to 59.94)

Any thoughts?
Randy Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Unless I'm mistaken, on the 100 series the 60p option is DV encoded using the HDV encoder so the footage isn't 1280 x 720. It's 720 x 480. This is probably the root of the issue but someone is sure to come along shortly with a more complete answer.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
...on the 100 series the 60p option is DV encoded using the HDV encoder so the footage isn't 1280 x 720. It's 720 x 480.
That's pretty much correct. It's "SD" (standard definition) video at 720 x 480, like DV, but 60 full progressive frames per second rather than DV's 60 interlaced fields.
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Trustee

yes its SD resolution but i can add that while its 480p it can intercut well with 720P footage if used sparingly.

It has been known that the SD resolution of the JVC is better than DV sd codec.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I can only speak from the side of the dreaded, despised or admired Premiere Pro side of the ditch, so my words are probably heresy to the max to FCP purists and the music of heaven to Adobe users? To make matters even more aggravating on a JVC thread, I used Sony HDV and Sony MiniDV.

("music of heaven" = too much?? - maybe I am simply so far up myself as to see the light - never mind - suitably self-chastened - let's move on.)

I found when I wanted to mix SD MiniDV and HDV on a music video in a multicamera style presentation, that I had to create a separate project for the SD footage, set the capture preferences for MiniDV, do my capture, save and close the project after noting where the captured MiniDV file had gone.

I then opened my HDV project, imported the MiniDV file, selected the MiniDV clip and dragged it onto a video track. In the playback presentation it initially appeared as a postage stamp on a larger image. In Premiere Pro 2, there is an option for scaling to frame size so that the MiniDV occupies the same frame size as the HDV images.

In my case it was more complex in that I had elected to keep the 4:3 frame in MiniDV for resolution reasons. I also elected to keep black edge bars on the 4:3 footage in the 16:9 frame for resolution reasons.

Once all the cuts across camera views had been done by razor and extraction from each of the tracks, the clip was exported and it worked fine.

Of course while scaled correctly for vertical height, vertical black edge bars remained for the 4:3 footage but as the auditorium was blacked out anyway, it did not matter as the master wide view was largely black with performers on stage spotlit in centre.

My imagining is that FCP offers the option of importing a separately captured MiniDV file and rescaling that on a HDV timeline.

Hopefully I have not confused you or worse, sent you down a deadend.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 1st, 2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: corrections
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bernard View Post
I'm trying to capture some footage for slow mo that was shot on a JVC GY-HD110 using the HDV SD60P format.

For capture/editing I'm using Final Cut Pro 6. I've captured 720/24p footage with this camera and everything works fine.
FCP doesn't support the 480p60 format (aka SD60P) for capture. You need to use DVHSCap or HDVxDV to capture the 480p60 footage as m2t and then you can use Mpegstreamclip to convert it into an all i-frame Quicktime codec like Apple Intermediate Codec or Photo-Jpeg. Make sure to NOT enter any frame rate in the frame rate box (you want to maintain 59.94 fps for now.) It is essential to use an all i-frame codec or Cinema Tools won't conform the frame rate.

After re-encoding your m2t to Quicktime then BATCH CONFORM to 23.98 in Cinema Tools. You'll then be good to go.

You can look at the last 1/4 of this podcast to see the process. http://www.dvinfo.net/prohd/Bonus_1.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems