Desperate Times. Urgent help needed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Desperate Times. Urgent help needed.

The production camera on a local feature project came back from the doctor today. It is now too late to shirtfront the doctor on what he has done to its entrails. The camera is booked for tomorrow, beachfront location, crew, actors and extras already called.

Here is the issue.

On start-up the LCD screen is full of letter and numbers over the image which makes it unusuable.

These are the letter and numbers apparent.

Ignore the dotted lines, used to force correct position of text in this post.
Ignore the brackets (). These highlight the characters only in this message.)

-----------------FF
6553550002C80003C
65535E20008000000
T9(D00)0000024(B)(C)B

(DOO) AND (DOE) FLASH ALTERNATINGLY.
("B" AND "C" FLASH ON ALTERNATINGLY.

My imagining is that the doctor left some task incomplete and the flashing characters indicate someting left that needs doing. Obviously we can't take the camera out in this state with any confidence of coming home with usable footage and a still usable camera at the end of it all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 6th, 2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bob,

My camera might be available tomorrow if you need it. I do have a small shoot on but it may fit in with your plans if i can juggle it. Call me up till midnight. I have the JVC-GYHD111 with matte box and battery pack all ready to go.

Dennis Robinson
0408 770310
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bob,

Just maybe I could help you here?

Now, there is a similar issue with many of the gyhd cams where a flashing bar of DDDDDDDDDDDDs appears intermittently. In some cases it occurs very frequently.

I understand it to be a hardware problem with no consequences for image quality. It is caused by crosstalk apparently. So maybe your camera quack has disturbed something which could have instigated this fault in a more dramatic fashion.

I'm sure you've checked but does it appear on Composite Video out and Component out? Is it recorded to tape and if so to HDD also?

Stuart
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Stuart and Dennis.

Thank you for your prompt responses. Fortunately Steve has found a substitute from Jim Frater so the urgency has dropped away. The camera goes back to the doctor early next week. I guess a few stern words may be spoken.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd love to know what the phrase "shirtfront" as in "shirtfront the doctor" means. Could you translate for a puzzled yank?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I believe the term is in reference to firmly grasping the shirt front of one whom you wish to continue verbal discourse with in a fashion that involves grabbing of said garment and the wrist twist that ensures said offending discoursee will not me able to vacate the premises prior to fully explaining his position. Ie. "Oh no you don't <grab> What the <insert term of endearment or expletive here> were you thinking? I want an explanation!"

However, I COULD be wrong...
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Strine has its wonderful mysteries but yes, that explanation is the essence of it - to violently confront without coming to actual blows. That often occurs a microsecond later as the confrontation transitions into a blue, a rip, a stoush or a flogging.

The term nowadays has its predominent usage in our Aussie Rules football culture.

Shirtfront can sometimes mean charging chest-on or shoulder-on into another opponent at speed to do harm, for the victim, usually taking the form of tumbling senseless along the ground all limp and soggy like a skittled dog.

Strine of course means Australian ( Orrstrayiyaan).
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Strine has its wonderful mysteries but yes, that explanation is the essence of it - to violently confront without coming to actual blows. That often occurs a microsecond later as the confrontation transitions into a blue, a rip, a stoush or a flogging.

The term nowadays has its predominent usage in our Aussie Rules football culture.

Shirtfront can sometimes mean charging chest-on or shoulder-on into another opponent at speed to do harm, for the victim, usually taking the form of tumbling senseless along the ground all limp and soggy like a skittled dog.

Gee Bob,
I am glad you filled me in on what Strine means. I have never heard of it.
Dennis
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post

It's amazing what you learn on here.

I've been trying all morning but I can't say "Strine" without doing a (very bad) Australian accent, it's impossible.

Glad you got a replacement camera sorted.

BTW. I thought "Shirtfront" was what young Australian men used instead of a napkin:)
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Trustee

One of my favorite clients is Australian - I'll have to tuck away a few of these words to pull out at random times.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Depending on how old and where from, he may respond with a strange, almost patronising look.

The modern urban Australian accents are a long way removed from those I grew up with and much of the modern homespun fondness for our vernacular is really something along the lines of a search for identity lost.

Napkins? Them's for wimps and wrapping around babies. Pie droolings at the footy and cricket outfields are best left to bake and encrust into the shirtless chest hairs, well preserved to be picked off for later snacking. (How did we get to this place???)

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 7th, 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: error
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post

Now, there is a similar issue with many of the gyhd cams where a flashing bar of DDDDDDDDDDDDs appears intermittently. In some cases it occurs very frequently.

2x HD-250, BR-HD50, Media Composer
Mark Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks very much for the colorful exposition.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems