HD201 just received / some questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #1
New Boot

HD201 just received / some questions

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, and first of all let me say what a wonderful forum this is for those who want to purchase a JVC ProHD cam. I just got mine (HD201) and it seems to be a great piece of device. There are still some things that keep me puzzled though. I always seem to get the same white-balance values. Not in the '3000k range' (I got 3200, 3400, 3700 and 3900). But above that the cam only shows 4300, 5200, 5600, 6500 and 8000 k. Are these the only values?
And one other thing; it seems that the audio (attached mic) is not on a normal level when selected 'auto' It's a bit low, I have to put the volume on my PC up quite a bit.
I hope someone kwows some answers, thanks in advance!!!!

Jeen de Vos / The Netherlands
Jeen de Vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #2
New Boot

Perhaps I should modify the question. Normaly I work with a Sony DSR400 DVcam. It's easy to make your own preset colour temparature with this cam. You can set it at any temparature you want. When you white-balance with the Sony it gives any Kelvin-range set by 100. Like 6000, 6100, 6200, 6300 etc. The JVC gives above preset 5600 only 6500 and 8000. Does this sound familiar to other owners?
Jeen de Vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Major Player

I haven't tested this so I can't answer the question precisely. I can say that I have taken two WB readings that are in fact different, yet the camera will read out the same number. So I only take the reading as an approximation. Why JVC does this, I have no idea.

Next time out I'll see if there are more readings.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Sony is less than accurate with their colour temp readouts as well, at least in the BetaSX and DSR300 lines, from my experience. It REALLY comes down to technique in terms of feeling secure that you do in fact have a good white balance instead of trusting the readout. I've gotten a 5600k readout in HEAVY shade on a 9 series BetaSX when it was obviously over 10k. Just do it again to makes sure you didn't mess up and keep shooting.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Being able to dial in your own WB value would be great for the difficult shots were sunlight and lighting are combined in situations were the 5600 and 3200 setting aren't enough. While the WB measurement is way off when you try to set the WB due to this combined lighting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems