Green Screen Information at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Green Screen Information

I am starting to explore the options of chroma keying and was wondering if anyone new any good articles to read. Especially articles that discuss JVC HDV or HDV in general. I have so many questions and I have only just begun! thanks.
Nicholas Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are a number of good threads here dealing with Green Screen. A search will find them. The best are the comments at: dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=120834&highlight=green+screen.

Good luck,

Ken
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Nicholas - indeed - follow the link sent by Kennedy (and this other I created in the photon management thread should you need lighting advice).

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121251

FCP and Motion do a really good job by the way.
I'm no expert but I can share my experiences in getting a pretty good key should you need any further tips.
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks

Thank you both, I will check out the articles. and Im sure I will be back soon when I know which questions to ask... I have A LOT!
Nicholas Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Nicholas...whilst you're on...you might want to look into 'light wraps' on your completed green screen. Not sure if some of the more professional folk on here would recommend it but it made some of footage far more realistic (I've added an example of a light wrap below). I'd worry about that last though and make sure you've lit everything and followed a few basic rules first off.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Green Screen Information-picture-2.png  
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Trustee

David, could you explain Light Wraps? Thanks.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
David, could you explain Light Wraps? Thanks.
Paul...I'll try and dig out the bookmark with a step by step guide as the process is a little convoluted for me to even attempt to explain.
Essentially, however, you create a mask from your subject effectively 'punching' a whole in your background you've laid over the green screen. You then 'bleed' the background into the matte where your subject was an then finally compositing it back onto the subject/foreground. There are a couple of mask, duplicate and filters processes but it's easy to follow and learn with the guide.
This guide by the way is for use in Motion - I'm sure similar programs can carry out the same solution. It's also themed for still photo's but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be done with video (it's in Motion afterall). If you've set up a green screen to match a pre determined scene then you would light accordingly - however if you have shot footage and want to slot it into a certain background this may help to match up. It's an effect however, I'm not sure you can do this when the background is moving footage: still background and video subject worked well for me on this situation.
It's another trick to learn I guess - I'm sure some of the pro's could argue much better the pros and cons for lightwrapping video Paul.

Here's the linkie in fact:

http://www.motionsmarts.com/tutorial...ightwrap3.html

Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems