DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC HD100u - How to get 4:2:2 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/124903-jvc-hd100u-how-get-4-2-2-a.html)

Valentin Fuhrer June 29th, 2008 10:11 AM

JVC HD100u - How to get 4:2:2 ?

Hi All,

I have a JVC HD100u and was wondering how I can go about getting the least-compressed signal out. It isn't clear to me at what point the signal is compressed down to where you lose that color information. Point is that I want to keep 4:2:2 to help with keying etc.

I know you lose something if you capture from firewire out. Compression codec there cuts you down to 4:2:0 (right?) - But is it the transfer through firewire where they introduce the additional compression?

I know there is some compression used in going to tape to begin with, but does the recording to tape also lose the extra color info?

For example, can I record to tape, and later capture from tape thru the component outs via an appropriate capture device (e.g. Black Magic Instensity Pro) - OR do I need to stream in realtime - while recording - to be able to grab video that retains 4:2:2 quality?

Thanks in advance...

Valentin

Matthew Rogers June 29th, 2008 11:54 AM

With the JVC 100 series the only way to get 4:2:2 is to record live through the component (three RCA outs) connections onto a computer. With the Intensity Pro you could record live. What are you greenscreening btw? The only issue I've had with keying is with people and finer hair. I bluescreened some food products last year with no issue (converting to an uncompressed format to key in After Effects.)

Matthew

Valentin Fuhrer June 29th, 2008 06:40 PM

Thanks, Matthew...

I will be keying people and def. have the same experience that hair etc is a bit of a pain.

You mentioned going to an uncompressed format when prepping to key in AE. Do you mean that you are taking compressed video, converting to the uncompressed format, then importing to AE when keying? Didn't know that this would help once you've lost that color information. (Or did I misunderstand how you're doing it.)

I'd definitely love to hear any tricks/tips regarding pulling a successful key more easily.

Thanks!

Matthew Rogers June 29th, 2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentin Fuhrer (Post 900698)
Thanks, Matthew...

I will be keying people and def. have the same experience that hair etc is a bit of a pain.

You mentioned going to an uncompressed format when prepping to key in AE. Do you mean that you are taking compressed video, converting to the uncompressed format, then importing to AE when keying? Didn't know that this would help once you've lost that color information. (Or did I misunderstand how you're doing it.)

I'd definitely love to hear any tricks/tips regarding pulling a successful key more easily.

Yes, that is what I meant. HDV and other 4:2:0 codecs are just bad to do any kind of keying or color correction in. Converting it to a better codec will help soften edges and what not.

I use Primatte Key Pro 4 which makes a big difference. It seems to be able to key better then anything else I've tried. But maybe I just don't know how to fully the other keying programs.

Matthew