Can I use a GR-HD1 as a deck for a GY-HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I use a GR-HD1 as a deck for a GY-HD100?

I have a HD-100 with a fried firewire port...

I am mostly shooting 720/30p.

I have seen a few HD-1's for much cheaper than it would cost to fix the port ($2,000 I am told)

any thoughts?
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Major Player

If I'm not mistaken you can capture but the 30P only like you have.

I think timecode may not be supported, but I could be wrong.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll try to check it out this weekend some time. I've got a HD10 and a HD110..
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That would be awesome...I would love to pull the trigger on this purchase ASAP....

is the HD-10 virtually the same camera?

How does the footage from the two different cameras look in the same timeline, side by side?

thanks Alex
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Major Player

it works

I use it to capture all the time. I can even capture 720p24 hdv off of the gr-hd1, but I can not preview it on the little camera's lcd screen. This is frustrating, because if you are a premiere user, you can't see what you're capturing. If you are a vegas user, then this is no problem, because you can see your hdv video while capturing on vegas.

I've also shot with both cameras with the hd1 as my b-cam, and in good lighting, 30p, they look pretty darn similar. the 100 is much more defined of course, but the hd-1, for what it is, does a decent job of holding out.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #6
New Boot

I am using HD1 as the desk, while I am shooting with HD100U. Yes, HD1 supports the 720/30P perfectly. I sometimes use both for wedding shooting, however, I can see the difference right away. I got to warn you first, no matter how well lit the footage of HD1 got, the footage from 1CCD isn't really good.
Lau Chi Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Trustee

do you have any links on where to get them?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Major Player

i just saw some on bay-e =)
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Moreno View Post
That would be awesome...I would love to pull the trigger on this purchase ASAP....

is the HD-10 virtually the same camera?

How does the footage from the two different cameras look in the same timeline, side by side?

thanks Alex
Night and day difference between the HD1/10 and the ProHD 3 chip JVC's. Between the HD1 and HD10? Not a lot. Less edge enhancement on the HD10 than the HD1. Biggest issue with the HD1 and HD10 is

1. 30p only (no 24p option)
2. Noisy video
3. No real manual (shutter speed/aperture) option. change shutter and the aperture changes.

Now the Black and White setting looks rather nice.. and I'm going to play with it in BW with a ND filter to keep the shutter speed around 1/30th and see if I can make it a cut away camera (think JFK movie with the BW cutaway)

the difference between the HD1 and H10?

1. HD 10 has less edge enhancements than the HD1
2. HD 10 comes with a 2nd handle with XLR (non powered) plug in (1/8th stereo plug)

Now the good thing with the HD1/HD10 is that they are built like bricks. No really, built well. If the video was less noisy, 24p and had some real manual controls it would be a sweet little danger cam to mate with the HD110 series. The color is rather nice (if manually white balanced with a white card) and the resolution is good. Lens is fair for a handy cam type of camera. I still really want to like this camera.. and I guess I like it enough not to sell it.. (sold my Sony 3 chip TRV-900 last week and skipped to the bank) The HD 10 takes MUCH nicer DV video than the Sony 3 chip DV cameras. HOWEVER in bad light, the Sony low res chips walk all over the JVC HD10. But for daylight, I honestly think the single chip JVC looked nicer. The JVC has resolution to spare off the CCD's, while Sony doesn't even have full DV resolution. Sony sacrifices resolution to gain better low light performance.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Major Player

[The HD 10 takes MUCH nicer DV video than the Sony 3 chip DV cameras. [/QUOTE]

Well, maybe that's unfair to say... better video than the 1/4 CCD's Sony tRV=900/950 and probably better than much of the video from the VX2,000 etc
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Moreno View Post
I have a HD-100 with a fried firewire port...

I am mostly shooting 720/30p.

I have seen a few HD-1's for much cheaper than it would cost to fix the port ($2,000 I am told)

any thoughts?
$2,000 to replace a board? Hmmm Call JVC service if you havn't and get a quote from the factory. I thought I heard somewhere it was $500.. but my memory isn't that good for what I overhear on forums when I didn't need the info.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

JVC Service replaced mine under warranty.
Ken

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems