lens for JVC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lens for JVC

Does anyone here own a JVC HDV cam (100 or 200 model) and has upgraded to an HD lens (not the stock lens that comes with the cam)

I'd love to hear any input regarding the quality of other lenses vs. the stock lens that comes with the cam.

Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Space Hipster

I have an HD200 with the 17x Fujinon. Since I ordered it this way, I can't compare it to the 16x lens, but I can tell you the images taken with the 17x are very sharp and clear.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I got the 17x for my 200 and am much happier with it over the stock 16. If you saw the two lens side by side, you can tell.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the 18x4.2 BERM for the HD250. I work for a news station, so the lens is actually a special version that has a 2x tele-extender.
Anyway, it's a great lens, though I haven't used the 16x stock lens for comparison. It's not perfect, however. When I'm zoomed out wide, there's a bit of chromatic aberration at the far edges of the image. And the iris must be set at f4 or more, otherwise there's terrible green/magenta chromatic aberration around highlights. In other words, if you open up anywhere from f2.8 to wide open, the aberration makes shots almost unuseable. So it's not the best lens to use if you're wanting to create shallow depth-of-field by opening the iris up wide.

Todd Norris
Director of Photography
Kansas City, MO
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Major Player

i have two HD100's with stock 16x, and one 13x that I use as well. The 13x has become my favorite, and stays on one cam most of the time now. It exhibits no CA, and is MUCH sharper than the 16x. Wish I had enough work to justify another 13x for the other cam...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I own the HD100 and the Th13x3.5BRMU lens. This was the only lens available for a long time for the JVC cameras. I LOVE the lens compared to the stock. Images are much crisper, barely any noticeable breathing, the "feel" is much more smooth in the focus, zoom and iris controls, and I really enjoy how wide it is. Coincidentally, I am selling my JVC packages and this lens. If you're interested, see my post in the Classified section.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

manual focus

HAy guy's
what would be a good replacement lens for the stock lens on the HD100.
Im going to be shooting a few short films in 24p and woulld like more control over the lens (manual focus). Is there any options out there that won break the bank? maybe like a lens adapter to a 35mm lens or something not sure.

thanks in advanced
shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Trustee

for 300-400 dollars you can get a zoerk or MTF adapter that will allow you to place nikon SLR lenses on your JVC. but note that it multiplies the focal length by so much. to give you an idea, a 10mm slr lens would seem like 85-105mm on the jvc.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler View Post
HAy guy's
what would be a good replacement lens for the stock lens on the HD100.
Im going to be shooting a few short films in 24p and woulld like more control over the lens (manual focus). Is there any options out there that won break the bank? maybe like a lens adapter to a 35mm lens or something not sure.

thanks in advanced
shawn
I use the Redrock Micro M2 on my stock JVC lens. Great results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems