White balancing issue on my 200u... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
New Boot

White balancing issue on my 200u...

I was outside filming with my 200u and I put my preset on 5600, which should have been fine, but it was pretty blueish greenish.. So, I white balanced and it gave me a warmer but truer colour but the temperature read at 5200. How is this possible? wouldn't making the temperature a lower number make it bluer..?
AND
when I set my preset to 3200 or 5600 and they're different then when I manually white balance and get the same exact temperature...
Is it possible for an auto white balance to read strange temperatures like this?

also My gy-200 (the same camera I'm having problems with) AWB's nearly 2-400 K different then my gy-100u? althou they look nearly the same in colour either than a few little details..

Has this happened to anybody before?
help.
Jonathan Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jonathan.

I've heard of this issue in a few cameras. Actually... it was at a JVC roadshow event in Hamilton. A representative of JVC Canada was in attendance and he explained that there are two elements to the AWB process. First, white balance is corrected based on the sample from white card, chart or gray card you are using. Secondly the system reads this adjustment and then displays it to you in Kelvin.

Apparently the second part of the process isn't always calibrated properly to the first. You may be in 8000K and the camera WB'd correctly, but it will read as something lower or higher.

If you are still in-warranty I suggest you call your dealer and ask if they can arrange for the calibration of your AWB. If the camera is out-of-warranty you may want to call the service department at JVC Professional Canada or just drop it off. They are located in Scarborough.
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
New Boot

thank you..
This has been really frustrating.. appreciate it.
Jonathan Rosenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems