Focus FS-5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Focus FS-5

Hello
i was wondering if anybody has use the new FOCUS FS-5 DTE.
And whats your opinion,
and how it compares to Dr hd100.
i know the price is high.
Thanks
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

we have no used the FS-5 with your cam, but so far we are very impressed with it. We put together a nice little FS-5 FAQ http://www.videoguys.com/fs5_faq.html

Gary
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's an interesting drive but it doesn't record 24p QuickTime and probably doesn't have the integration that the DR-HD100 has with the JVC ProHD cameras. It would be a reasonable guess that JVC will release a version of this drive soon after the FS-5 is introduced.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Tourist

FS-5 equivalent for JVC GY HD 201 Cameras?

Has anyone tried the FS-5 with a JVC Gy HD 201?

Thanks Guys
Chris

Last edited by Cristian Stefanut; August 25th, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Cristian Stefanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Its coming

Focus said around 6 mos till a full integrated version will be available for the JVC's... Cant wait!
Shawn Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Wish it were cheaper... it's about 2/3 the price of a new HD-110!
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Can some one give me an update, on if this unit will work on an australian JVC 201 most of the time i capture at 720p50.

I film weddings and are looking at doing same day edits, so i like the idea that i can edit as i go during the day.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Concerns

I'm a little concerned that it says it uses the same hard drive as iPods. I loved that when the hard drive and my old Firestore died I was able to upgrade it quickly and cheaply with a larger laptop hard drive. I know its possible to buy iPod hard drives, but they are a lot more expensive. I'm also concerned about potential heat issues. There are rare stories of iPods overheating after being subjected to extended periods of video playback. I am curious how this device will cope without having a cooling fan in it.

Other then that I am really excited about this device. Not having the file size limit anymore is a HUGE plus for me. Also the ability to ad WiFi networking to it is great- not having to take the drive off the camera and plug it into my computer to transfer video is a nice feature as well.

Something I would like to see in whatever model they come up with that integrates with the ProHD cameras is the ability to generate its own timecode. Right now I can shoot totally tapeless- but each clip has its own timecode that starts at zero. If I want timecode I have to run a tape in the camera.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems