DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   200ub image stabilization (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/127823-200ub-image-stabilization.html)

Jason McCormy August 11th, 2008 08:31 AM

200ub image stabilization

I'm using a 200u shoulder mounted and wonder if the stock lens has any sort of image stabilization or if the camera body has any feature like that.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Mike Marriage August 11th, 2008 08:39 AM

No, it doesn't I'm afraid but the form factor is generally steadier than a handheld, especially over long periods.

Jason McCormy August 12th, 2008 08:56 AM

Thank you for the response. I'm having trouble zooming out while it is shoulder mounted. My boss is 6'6" and 235, he doesn't appear to have trouble, but I'm smaller and can't keep the image steady. Do you have any recommendations, other than a tripod, to help with this? I'd like a steadicam setup, but there is no way I can afford one, or that my boss will pay for one as we don't actually film very often.

So any recommendations on making this setup easier to handle are greatly appreciated.

Shaun Roemich August 12th, 2008 09:01 AM

You won't like my response:

If you aren't in a wide angle lens position, use a tripod. Period. Zooming in makes your field of view smaller and magnifies any camera movement to make images nearly unwatchable.

I'm 6'3" 270lbs and I do a REASONABLE job of mid length zoom hand holding, but only for mere seconds.

If you have NO choice, find something to brace against. A tree, a fence. Or crouch and hold the camera against your body instead of your shoulder.

A Steadicam is not a magic solution. They require a fair bit of set-up, a TON of practice and are probably more hassle than they are worth in many situations. Don't get me wrong - they are amazing at what they do but sometimes a good old tripod is the best solution.

Jason McCormy August 12th, 2008 09:26 AM

No, I don't like your response but appreciate it none the less. Hmm. With my slr are I have a mono pod for hiking that lets me rest the camera and brace it with my hands. I wonder if that would work for the video camera?

Shaun Roemich August 12th, 2008 10:15 AM

Mono pods DO improve the ability to "reach out and touch someone". Again, they take a bit of getting used to. If you can get it the right height (difficult for me at 6'3"), then at least you have TWO anchor points - your shoulder and the pod. This will reduce rotation and minimize rise (pan and tilt respectively). Dutch or cant is still an issue as are smooth moves.

As well, sometimes I tuck a broadcast style camera (like the 200 or a Betacam) under my armpit tight against my body if I know the shot will be "locked off".

Tom Robertson August 12th, 2008 10:29 AM

I use an HD110 and experience some camera shake, again due to no image stabilization. I purchased a software program from Digital Juice called ProDad Mercalli which will image stabilize in post similar to what you can do in After Effects but in less time. I haven't tested it yet with the HD110 clips but with some other test footage it wasn't bad for the price -- they were offering it for about half price. There's a free demo version available on the ProDad website. Maybe not the best solution but something to look at.

Shaun Roemich August 12th, 2008 10:39 AM

Good Point, Tom.

The image stabilizer in FCP is reasonable, as well, if you have time for the processing in post.

Jason McCormy August 12th, 2008 11:29 AM

Thank you all for the advice. If I did try using a mono pod, any ideas of how I should attach it to the camera? If the camera is on my shoulder and only the lens is going out?

Shaun Roemich August 12th, 2008 12:03 PM

Screw it into the 1/4" - 20 hole on the bottom of the camera toward the front of the body. Done.

Jason McCormy August 12th, 2008 12:10 PM

Great! Thank you!

Jason McCormy August 12th, 2008 01:04 PM

Actually, has anyone used the Glidecam Glidecam 4000 with the body harness? I wonder how that would work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...abilizing.html

Don Bloom August 12th, 2008 06:03 PM

I don't think the GC would work with the JVC100/110/200/250. First thats a handheld unit which unless you're godzilla would probably break your wirst very quickly. Second, again it is a stabilization unit not a tripod replacement.
When working at the long end of the lens with a shoulder mount camera the tripod is the best solution with the monopod right behind ithowever mounting it to the camera andremining reasonably mobil can be problematic.
There is however a solution IF it will work with the JVC camera. Varizoom has a rig called the ENG Pro Rig (Made by Danny N of DVmultirig fame) and when I was shooting my JVC5000 and Sony DSR series cameras it worked GREAT!. I could go to the long end of the lense and remain quite stabile for long periods of time. Its a rail system with a spring rod and belt pouch. NO it doesn't replace either a tripod OR steadicam but is very easy to set up and use.

Don

Adam Letch August 12th, 2008 09:28 PM

The good thing about HDPro cams

is also the bad thing, their weight. Because they are light which helps for shooting all day, they twitch with the slighted breath or even my heartbeat going through the palm of my hand.
The one thing that helps is putting a decent battery on the back and even a hdd unit, which balances out my mattebox well and increases the overall weight which helps when hand held. Otherwise the basic rule of shoot wide as much as possible, I've often thought about making a custom shoulder pad, there's not a lot of give in the stock which is also why it tends not to be as stable as it could.

Regards

Adam

Shawn Anderson August 12th, 2008 11:27 PM

Rails and handles

The lower and closer to your body, the better. Helps you control the camera more with your body and less with your arms. There are MANY types of shooting that wont allow for a tripos or mono pod, like the reality stuff Im doing for MTV tomorrow. all run and gun. I would be toast without my Rails and handles.