"ClipWrap" m2t to Quicktime HDV wrapper NOW AVAILABLE! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 30th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Capturing more than 20 contiguous minutes with ClipWrap

First off, I have a Sony HVR-Z7U and using FCP.

Ok, ClipWrap was working great for all my needs, until I got out on a shoot today and ended up shooting a few segments about 1 hour each in contiguous length.

The problem is that there are multiple m2t files in one contiguous recording, and when I try to splice the files together, I'm not having a lot of luck. For me, the first two frames of any file I ClipWrap are unusable. They are basically garbled.

Has anyone had any luck in working with longer recordings (longer than 20 or so minutes - due to the 4GB filesize limitation) and the Sony Memory Recording Unit HVR-MRC1 that comes with the HVR-Z7U?

TiA!
Dennis St. John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:47 AM   #77
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woodworth View Post
Yesterday we posted 1.0.2 which addresses all the sync issues we can recreate in house.
I Mike we emailed a while ago about your supporting 1920x1080 TOD (.m2ts) MPEG-2 files. Any news? Now that VisualHub has gone out of business, the JVC camcorders have only Streamclip!
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #78
Major Player

Hi,

I've just this afternoon downloaded Clipwrap (the trial for the time being at least).
Impressed with the speed of the convert!
However, I was wondering if this can be used in anyway for overcranking - I usually used the following workflow:

DVHSCAP > Mpegstreamslip > Conform to 25 (when recording with HDV-SD50p)

TO my eyes...and unless I've done something drastically wrong, the resulting footage has deteriorated pretty badly - one of the reasons I rarely use the method (saying that, I've seen it done much better on some of your posts in the 'show your work' section).
I was hoping clipwrap might generate much cleaner footage, but I cannot seemingly have FCP injest the .mov files originated as HDV-SD50p footage: I get a black image (which requires rendering - which I cannot they carry out due to a codec incorrect message) although the audio is carried through (720p25 works a treat however).

Apologies if this has already been discussed...I've had a good route through this thread and others to little avail.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #79
Wrangler

Unfortunately the Quicktime HDV codec doesn't support 576p50 or 480p60 so it must be transcoded into another codec like PhotoJpeg. Clipwrap simply wraps 720p or 1080i/p into Quicktime using the HDV codec so it won't be able to work with 576p or 480p HDV.

BTW the HDV codec won't allow speed conforming in Cinema Tools so if you want to overcrank (even 720p60) you must transcode to an all I-frame codec like ProRes422 or PhotoJpeg.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Unfortunately the Quicktime HDV codec doesn't support 576p50 or 480p60 so it must be transcoded into another codec like PhotoJpeg. Clipwrap simply wraps 720p or 1080i/p into Quicktime using the HDV codec so it won't be able to work with 576p or 480p HDV.
That will explain that! Thanks Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
BTW the HDV codec won't allow speed conforming in Cinema Tools so if you want to overcrank (even 720p60) you must transcode to an all I-frame codec like ProRes422 or PhotoJpeg.
Cheers Tim - I'd been using your overcranking post ( http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/601438-post1.html ) for some time - invaluable as always.
Not entirely convinced by the quality of the footage - it somehow appears grainy, although to be fair the majority of 'slow mo' I show was never in the best light.

Essentially then, as most of my projects will be either on the web or DVD, does clipwrap become a much better workflow both quality wise and time wise? It's a breeze to use.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #81
Trustee

I am still using clipwrap for all the projects we are doing for our IPTV station.

In nearly two months I have not had a single problem with any clips and the workflow is perfect and very efficient.

I am shooting on a sony S270 and Z7 using the compact flash as the main source with tape as a back-up. We have even done small jobs with no tape as the workflow is pretty bomb proof.

I shoot at 1080i 50i and import to FCP via clipwrap, once editing has finished all masters are exported as pro res 422 1920x1080 at 25p.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #82
Wrangler

New version 1.1 now available

New in 1.1:

-No longer requires Final Cut Pro to be installed on the re-wrap machine
-Adds transcode to AIC, ProRes 422, DVCProHD, and Avid DNxHD.
-Now works with Final Cut Pro/Express, iMovie, Avid or any other QT app on any machine!
-Adds down sampling to DV
-Fixes issues with a/v sync on some clips captured from tape

ClipWrap

To use HDV or DVCProHD Quicktime files on a mac that doesn't have FCP installed you will need to download and install the new open-source codecs found here. http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/dis...ne/164630.html
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #83
Major Player

Holy mother of god thank the Lord, clipwrap is our saviour

Sorry Tim just wanted to post this in the main forum area rather than the Clipwrap sticky so others who may miss your post can be aware.

Well a little while back I had kind of given up on clipwrap as, although it handled my firestore files in efficeint fasion it stumbled with the stuff I had converted from tape with mpeg streamclip. At the time I did tell Mike who asked me send him a sample of the problem files (which due to my laziness I never did) and he would try and fix it.

Anyway, Cut along story short, just opened it up today after stumbling upon Tim's most recent post and downloaded the update. It now seems to work fine with hour long tapes with time code breaks, plays fine in Quicktime. Still yet to try it in FCP but it looks like they've cracked it.

I must admit that the effective way it dealt with my Fire store files impressed me, even with the tape problem but it seems this really is a must have piece of software for anyone with HD100 footage converted from tape.

Many thanks to Tim and Mike

G
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #84
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke View Post
...ust wanted to post this in the main forum area rather than the Clipwrap sticky so others who may miss your post can be aware.
Err... the whole point of a sticky is that it isn't missed... Threads merged,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #85
Major Player

I wonder how long can we keep on using Firestore? Looks like new Macbook pro doesn't even have firewire 400!
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #86
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
I wonder how long can we keep on using Firestore? Looks like new Macbook pro doesn't even have firewire 400!
By using the correct cable, Firewire 800 is backward compatible with Firewire 400.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #87
New Boot

i bought clipwrap... seems great for getting the files into fcp. But i'm still having trouble finding a tape workflow that works and has the ability to recapture.

Any suggested workflows? No budget for tapeless solutions at the moment... especially during this crisis!
Nick Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #88
New Boot

from a jvc gy-hd100 to a one hour tape (prohd from jvc) captured through dvhscap and wrapped with clipwrap... problem:

out of sync audio... its a steady drift of around 4 frames.... original m2t does not have this problem..

could it be that it still needs bugfixing? when i capture with fcp (with all the problems associated with this method) the audio is fine...
Nick Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #89
Major Player

Hi Nick,

I have done the same with my footage and as yet have not noticed anything like that. At what point do you notice the drift e.g. playing the footage back in the viewer, canvas or both.

My current workflow as follows

1)1hour prohd tape recording HDV 24p
2)captured via dvhscap
3)dowloaded onto my system drive via external
3a)at this point I had to change my file extensions to .m2t as for some strange reason they were .m2t.mov from my external drive. If I did not do this Clipwrap would not accept them.
4)rewrapped continuous 8gig file using clipwrap
5)saved onto my scratch disk
i6)mport into fcp using easy set up HDV 24p setting
7)then creating smaller clips using Masterclip/Subclip

So far this seems to work

Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papadopoulos View Post
from a jvc gy-hd100 to a one hour tape (prohd from jvc) captured through dvhscap and wrapped with clipwrap... problem:

out of sync audio... its a steady drift of around 4 frames.... original m2t does not have this problem..

could it be that it still needs bugfixing? when i capture with fcp (with all the problems associated with this method) the audio is fine...
I also seem to be having this issue - original version of ClipWrap was dead-on in terms of sync. I am getting a 4 to 7 frame drift. Anyone???
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems