GY HD 200 car mount question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Major Player

GY HD 200 car mount question

Hi,
In 10 days I have to shoot some cars in motion. Because none of the local renting houses can provide this type of car mount
Camera Suction pads and Vacuum mounts and I am referring to the SM8KIT I decided to buy one.
Questions:
Anyone tried this product with the 200 family? Does it work?
They say is for max 6KG. The 251 + battery + DRHD100 + BRMU3,5-13 lens is a little bit over 6 kilos. Would it be a good idea to buy the SM3 Pro suction mount kit and combine it with the SM8KIT in order to support a heavier camera?

I know that the Medium and Heavy Weight Camera Mounts for Cars from Medium and Heavy Weight Camera Mounts for Cars is a better choice but the shipping cost to my place is almost a thousand bucks so I'd rather buy the SM3 + SM8KIT from UK for less money.
Any help is welcome,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm now a convert to VFGadgets Pro-Gripper Quad.

I've had a full HD250 rig hood mounted with it (long legs are removable) even though that probably exceeds the maximum suggested weight of 14lbs.
Just make sure you strip the camera of everything unnecessary and ensure your grips use a couple ratchet straps and you'll be fine. I put the DR-HD100 DTE drive inside the car and used a really long firewire cable.
Attached Thumbnails
GY HD 200 car mount question-snow2795.jpg   GY HD 200 car mount question-snow2796.jpg  

Old August 25th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been a stickypod user for years now - they have a huge range of modular mounts, all based on a standard suction cup. Sticky Pod-Camera Mounts
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Paul but Tim's solution looks better for my needs.
Tim, the rig seams to be very versatile. Have you ever tried to use it with the long legs on the side of the car so the camera is 0,8-1 meter off the car. Would it be safe with the camera striped to minimum and the DR 100 inside the car as you suggested?
On the other hand is funny that the rig is USD 650 and the shipping is 850 .... .
Tim, thank you very much for your help,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Your best bet

Filmtools Medium Weight Camera/Car Mount Starter Kit

have flown my old dv500 loaded with this and the HD200 as well... works like a charm, I picked up a 4th suction cup that I use with a long arm to go to the camera handle to minimize potential top wiggle.

I wouldnt trust my camera to only one suction cup... they are prone to leaks and you really nesd a 3 point system that you can rig tight and strap down with ratchet straps to be sure.... I mean with a 5k camera, whay be cheap on your mounts right?
Shawn Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #6
New Boot

What is that antenna at the back of the gy-hd 200. İ would be thankfull if you answer.
Bugra Dagdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugra Dagdas View Post
What is that antenna at the back of the gy-hd 200. İ would be thankfull if you answer.
2.8Ghz Video transmitter so the director could watch from the chase car and direct the actors with a walkie. It's a little haphazard because I bought the components and built it myself. It has a good range of about 100 feet.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #8
New Boot

thank you for explaning
Bugra Dagdas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems