DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sony to license XDCAM EX file format to JVC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/130685-sony-license-xdcam-ex-file-format-jvc.html)

Johnnie Behiri September 12th, 2008 09:51 AM

Sony to license XDCAM EX file format to JVC

Sony : Sony to license XDCAM EX file format to JVC : United Kingdom

Geoff Murillo September 12th, 2008 10:13 AM

Great news!

Can't wait to see a JVC HD200-like camera with 1080p at a 35Mbps data rate.

Tim Dashwood September 12th, 2008 12:31 PM

This is new on the JVC website

KA-MR100G

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...0-kamr100g.jpg

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...-kamr100gw.jpg

Drew Cusick September 12th, 2008 12:41 PM

It looks so big, jeesh.

I dont have the hard drive, but would you say its pretty comparable to that in size?

James Espy September 12th, 2008 01:14 PM

I wonder if it only comes in the V mount?

Chris Hurd September 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

Photos and full copies of the press releases are right here on DV Info Net:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...-xdcam-ex.html

Basically what this means is that all GY-HD200 and 250 series cameras
can now become Sony XDCAM EX format recordable, if you so desire.

Glen Vandermolen September 12th, 2008 02:50 PM

So the HD200/250 line will now be able to record at 35mbps? That's quite an improvement. You think the camera will now get a Silver rating by Discovery HD, just like the Sony EX line? Or will those 1/3" chips be a detriment?

Brian Luce September 12th, 2008 05:43 PM

Us HD100 and 110 guys get no respect. :(

Brian Standing September 12th, 2008 07:07 PM

How does it connect to the camera? Through firewire or HD-SDI?

Tim Dashwood September 12th, 2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 933956)
So the HD200/250 line will now be able to record at 35mbps? That's quite an improvement. You think the camera will now get a Silver rating by Discovery HD, just like the Sony EX line? Or will those 1/3" chips be a detriment?

Not according to the specs. 25mbps for 1080i from a HD200B. 19.2Mbps for 720p on HD200/250. It seems the camera's encoder is still being used.
For now this really just means you can record directly to XDCAM EX format on a SxS card. For now there is no image quality improvement over HDV.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 934055)
How does it connect to the camera? Through firewire or HD-SDI?

68-pin multi-connector.

Steve Mullen September 13th, 2008 03:35 AM

"Future products from JVC will attach directly to the KA-MR100G."

At NAB I learned that the "components" on display in the booth could/would be assembled INTO future camcorders -- meaning the 200/250 series isn't obviously going to be the last camcorder ever built by JVC.

Which means hard-drives and solid-state can go from plug-ON options to built-IN functions.

So wait for NAB 2009 to see what can come of this relationship.

One has to wonder if JVC will function the way Toshiba did in the 89-91 period when Toshiba assembled a very nice PRO Hi8 camcorder using Sony parts. The problem was it was almost identical to the Sony.

With HDV, Sony and JVC split the market by 720p and 1080i. That worked nicely for both companies.

One option I could see is that JVC taking the lead in 1080p60 camcorders. This might work because JVC has, IMHO, always been the company that jumped first while Sony waits a year or two. There's a lot of infra-structure to get into place for world-wide use of 1080p60.

One can imagine a large European customer wanting camcorders in 2009 and finding Sony not ready and so they got the two companies together to build a 1080p50 camcorder ASAP. Don't rule-out a small lightweight unit for ENG. Think Sony Z7 and/or S270.

PS: Moreover, it seems JVC is using a modified version of Sony's ClearVid CMOS chips in it's latest consumer camcorder which nicely records both MPEG-2 or AVCHD.

Brian Standing September 13th, 2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 934075)
68-pin multi-connector.

Huh? I just own a measly HD100. But I've been pouring over the specs for the HD200 at B&H, and I don't see any such connector listed for the Input/Output connectors, just:

FireWire: 6-Pin (x1 Input, x1 Output)
Component Video: 3-BNC (x1 Output)
Composite Video: RCA (x1 Output)
Audio Input: XLR (x2)
Audio Output: RCA (x1) Headphone: Stereo Mini (x2)
Remote: DIN 6-Pin

Am I missing something?

Are we sure it isn't really just a firewire connection in disguise? That would make sense if it's limited to 25mbps XDCAM.

Tim Dashwood September 13th, 2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 934213)
...Are we sure it isn't really just a firewire connection in disguise? That would make sense if it's limited to 25mbps XDCAM.

You could be right. I'm just going by the specs but it looks like this device requires connection to the interface plate of the HD200/250 form factor. There must be some sort of direct internal connection since this recorder becomes a semi-permanent attachment to the camera.

I've had the AB plate off of the HD200/250 a few times and don't remember seeing any other ports in there but I did take photos of the procedure (to mount the L-shaped accessory plate) so I'll take a closer look.

Craig Yanagi September 13th, 2008 08:51 AM

Battery Plate Mount for KAMR100 XDCAM EX Adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Espy (Post 933913)
I wonder if it only comes in the V mount?

The battery mount will be that of the camcorder you own. So, in the US the battery mount will be Anton Bauer. You can also purchase the IDX mount separately if you prefer to use a V-mount, or have large Sony brick V-mount batteries.

Craig Yanagi September 13th, 2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 934226)
You could be right. I'm just going by the specs but it looks like this device requires connection to the interface plate of the HD200/250 form factor. There must be some sort of direct internal connection since this recorder becomes a semi-permanent attachment to the camera.

I've had the AB plate off of the HD200/250 a few times and don't remember seeing any other ports in there but I did take photos of the procedure (to mount the L-shaped accessory plate) so I'll take a closer look.

The multi-pin connector will serve as a multi-function connection. That's why a special adapter (KAUM100) is also being developed as the interface between the ProHD 200 series camcorders and the KAMR100. We're studying the best method to implement the adapter, and both the KAMR100 XDCAM EX dockable recorder and KAUM100 interface will be out at the same time.