DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Yet another tape question that has probably already been answered (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/134679-yet-another-tape-question-has-probably-already-been-answered.html)

Jason McCormy September 24th, 2008 03:00 PM

Yet another tape question that has probably already been answered

But I am a bit confused. Actually, really confused.

Ok, I know that you are not supposed to mix tapes, unless it is A ok to do so, then it is fine.

I know that mixing tapes with different lubricants are a bad thing and can cause drop outs unless this no longer happens or you run a tape cleaner through it which might be great but might also lesson the life of the heads.

So, I can use my boss's JVC GY HD-200u when he is not. I have no JVC tapes, though he is using JVC pro tapes. I do have, thank you to the wonderful gentlemen that gave them to me, 50 used once Sony DVcam mini dv tapes.

Could I get away with using them? Should I clean before and after?

Tim Dashwood September 24th, 2008 05:04 PM

IF it was your own personal camera I would still recommend against it but ultimately you would only have yourself to blame if you experimented with the used Sony tapes.

Since this is a borrowed camera the only one your boss would have to blame is you (and himself for lending it to you.) He uses ProHD tapes for a reason and if it is important that this camera never have downtime due to saving a buck then I would say don't even let those Sony tapes into the same room as the HD200!

Alex Humphrey September 24th, 2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McCormy (Post 942673)
But I am a bit confused. Actually, really confused.

Ok, I know that you are not supposed to mix tapes, unless it is A ok to do so, then it is fine.

I know that mixing tapes with different lubricants are a bad thing and can cause drop outs unless this no longer happens or you run a tape cleaner through it which might be great but might also lesson the life of the heads.

So, I can use my bosses JVC GY HD-200u when he is not. I have no JVC tapes, though he is using JVC pro tapes. I do have, thank you to the wonderful gentlemen that gave them to me, 50 used once Sony DVcam mini dv tapes.

Could I get away with using them? Should I clean before and after?

I've mixes Sony and JVC tapes with my JVC HD110 and after a while got the "DIRTY HEAD" message. I'm only guessing it MAY have been from mixing tapes. I've been using cheap JVC for a while now (after using the cleaning head tape) and no issues. I picked up about a hundred (100) JVC DV tapes at Kmart when Kmart dropped the line (fifty cents a tape). But even the list price via BH is about $2 per tape. I would just order a brick of JVC tapes via BH or amazon for $19 for 20 tapes and not worry. Even the cheap tapes are decent. I get maybe 1 drop out every couple of tapes, but I use them for backup since I really run my DTE Focusenhancement drive and tape as backup. So I don't really care about the 1 drop out every 1-4 tapes. Still.. no dirty head signal even after 10x as many JVC only tapes as I did with the JVC / Sony tape mix. So maybe there is some truth to that rumor.

Jason McCormy September 25th, 2008 08:45 AM

Thank you for the responses. It appears to be seriously not worth it.

How often do you run a tape cleaner through?

Jason McCormy September 25th, 2008 09:53 AM

So, the cheap regular mini dv tapes may not be the best but they won't harm the camera?

Tim Dashwood September 25th, 2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McCormy (Post 943005)
So, the cheap regular mini dv tapes may not be the best but they won't harm the camera?

Permanently harm the camera? No.

Cause you frustration because your cheap tape is full of dropouts? Yes.

Cause you downtime trying to get the heads clean? Yes.

Jason McCormy September 25th, 2008 11:33 AM

Ok, what about splitting the difference and buying these?

JVC M-DV63HD 63 Minutes Mini DV HD Video Cassette

JVC | M-DV63HD 63 Minutes Mini DV HD Video Cassette | MDV63HDHT

Tim Dashwood September 25th, 2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McCormy (Post 943059)
Ok, what about splitting the difference and buying these?

JVC M-DV63HD 63 Minutes Mini DV HD Video Cassette

JVC | M-DV63HD 63 Minutes Mini DV HD Video Cassette | MDV63HDHT

I tested these and got dropouts as well. The ProHD tapes are not that expensive. We buy them here in Canada for around $10-$11 each. They must be under $10 in the U.S.

Jason McCormy September 25th, 2008 12:10 PM

Bleah. Ok. If I buy the pro hd, what about reusing them if I have the footage stored away on the servers?

Steve Oakley September 25th, 2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 943036)
Permanently harm the camera? No.

Cause you frustration because your cheap tape is full of dropouts? Yes.

Cause you downtime trying to get the heads clean? Yes.

and whats the cost of a reshoot on your dime because a cheap tape messed up ?

and the cost of losing a client over $5 ?

missing something that can't be done over again ?

given the potential downsides, and they are real, using cheap tape is one of the worst things you can do given what you think you are saving. I'd rather re-use a hi grade tape I know I don't need again then use a new cheap one, not that I haven't in an emergency, but its not my first choice. re using tape is ok... folks seem to forget we used to edit on the stuff not that long ago which beat the daylights out it, but it still worked.

Stefan Immler September 25th, 2008 01:21 PM

Jason --

I honestly don't understand why you don't buy the same tapes that your boss is using and respect that it is his camcorder and that you have the responsibility to return it to him in the same condition he gave it to you. Is getting a pro camcorder for free not worth $10.- per tape? Also, at these low costs, why would you want to re-use the tapes and run the risk that your footage quality will be compromised? Is your footage not worth being captured at a cost of $10 per hour?

Jason McCormy September 25th, 2008 01:47 PM

Excellent points. I suppose it was more theoretical. I'm very new to this field and I'm trying to get my head around why with some things.

I suppose I do sound like a jackass.

As for my footage, not really, I'm just shooting to learn things right now and am terribly cheap (truth be told I am so cheap girls tend to wonder).

I think I will need to just plunge and by them though. Jim is a good guy and I do not want to screw anything of his up.