Best way to AfterEffects from HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Best way to AfterEffects from HD100?

Hi,

What would be a good format to convert to, for working in AfterEffects from HD100 720p25 footage? (including alpha, so no prores)
Nick Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Nick,

for short clips, you can use sequential files of TGA or TIFF. Your NLE is also a consideration, I use Edius, so i use HQ , i also use HQ in after effects since HQ avi support alpha channels. In my 3D work i use TGA sequences with alpha for compositing in AE.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #3
Major Player

^^ I'm hopefully picking up After Effects in the next couple of weeks and my NLE is FCP. With AE not being an apple product I presume you can't 'send to > after effects' as with Motion for example? Would I convert a clip/sequence to Tiff from FCP? Send a QT mov file?
I really like Motion but there are a few things I need to achieve which do not really fall into it's remit....here's for another steep learning curve :( !
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Trustee

David,

Motion is a relatively new app, I can't say much about it. I do know AE since it was version 5 so I'm quite sure that AE is robustly supported, not only by plug-ins but also by knowledgeable people on the app.
After Effects accepts MOV files, no need to convert to TIFF.

Ted
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
David,

Motion is a relatively new app, I can't say much about it. I do know AE since it was version 5 so I'm quite sure that AE is robustly supported, not only by plug-ins but also by knowledgeable people on the app.
After Effects accepts MOV files, no need to convert to TIFF.

Ted
Thanks Ted...looking forward to getting my mitts muddy on AE as soon as possible.
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papadopoulos View Post
Hi,

What would be a good format to convert to, for working in AfterEffects from HD100 720p25 footage? (including alpha, so no prores)
Take a look at SheerVideo (http://www.bitjazz.com) It's a lossless compressors (QT plugin) with alpha support and size at about 1/2 the size of Uncompressed. It's also very fast. They have a trial version for 20 days with NO watermark.
Of course AE also handles /m2t file directly...
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Take note only the new versions do. The old one i still use, version 6.5, don't support m2t.
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone View Post
Take a look at SheerVideo (http://www.bitjazz.com) It's a lossless compressors (QT plugin) with alpha support and size at about 1/2 the size of Uncompressed. It's also very fast. They have a trial version for 20 days with NO watermark.
Of course AE also handles /m2t file directly...
I can add my support to SheerVideo. Excellent codec with some features that are advantageous on several levels. Details on their website. Tech support is excellent, as well -- fast and personable.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems