White Shading and the Peaking Dial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

White Shading and the Peaking Dial

Yet another dumb question probably.

Ok, I'm getting to spend all weekend with the camera and I'm going through the manual. After white balancing, it says to adjust the white shading after the lens is installed for the first time.

I've read reference to it already being done for the stock lens, but is this true? Do I need to adjust the white shading? Also, do I need to adjust this periodically or after it is set oncecan I leave it this way and just white balance?

Another question, the peaking dial doen't really seem to have much effect on the image I see in the viewfinder. Maybe a little on the extreme settings. Is this normal?

Thank you as always for your help.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
Yet another dumb question probably.

Ok, I'm getting to spend all weekend with the camera and I'm going through the manual. After white balancing, it says to adjust the white shading after the lens is installed for the first time.

I've read reference to it already being done for the stock lens, but is this true? Do I need to adjust the white shading? Also, do I need to adjust this periodically or after it is set oncecan I leave it this way and just white balance?

Another question, the peaking dial doen't really seem to have much effect on the image I see in the viewfinder. Maybe a little on the extreme settings. Is this normal?

Thank you as always for your help.
I had to do white shading on my first 200 with the stock lens but my second was fine.

I don't see much peaking at all in the viewfinder unless I use Focus Assist.
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Major Player

So you recomend at least testing the white shading out on the lens? It seems that the lcd or viewfinder are not quite detailed enough to get a truly decent picture to test. But, maybe I should do it first.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I would recommend using an external monitor, even if downresing to SD. I noticed the colour cast when hooked up to my 27" CRT. And yes, I'd recommend checking it, even on the stock lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems