DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   BR-HD50 only for JVC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/136188-br-hd50-only-jvc.html)

Charles Barreto October 16th, 2008 10:35 PM

BR-HD50 only for JVC?

I was wondering if anyone knows or can direct me to a different thread were this might have been covered...I just can't seem to find an answer.

I have been asked to edit a corporate video for a local company...but they will supply all of the HDV footage shot with Canon's HV-20's and 30"s.

Would I be able to feed these through my BR-HD50 and edit? Does it output 1080...and does it do it well. I have only used my deck for stuff I have shot with the GY-HD100...but now I wonder. How does it all work?

Thanks

Steve Oakley October 16th, 2008 11:48 PM

no. Those cams are 1080. Get one of the cams to edit. Then again using those cams expect the worst for sound and pic

Charles Barreto October 17th, 2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 952290)
no. Those cams are 1080. Get one of the cams to edit. Then again using those cams expect the worst for sound and pic

Ok...how about mastering. Once I get the footage in and finish my edit, can I output via the BR-HD50? I thought I read somewhere that it could output 1080.

Mark Silva October 17th, 2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Barreto (Post 952364)
Ok...how about mastering. Once I get the footage in and finish my edit, can I output via the BR-HD50? I thought I read somewhere that it could output 1080.

it can output 1080i over component only and thats an upconvert of
720P only.

Better to use the cams instead (they are your only option if it was shot 24f by the way)
if it was shot at 30fps then any of the sony hdv decks will also work.

Steve Oakley October 17th, 2008 12:42 PM

or put another way : the deck only inputs

1. SD in composite / y/c

2 HD via FW / 720p

yes we all wish it had component or SDI in. JVC showed such a box 2 NAB's ago and killed it it seems because of one thing - everyone said it was way too expensive. they were suggesting $5k I think and every one said thats nuts when you can deliver a camera for that price and this box is basically a subset of that camera - the video A-D + mpeg2 encoder - the DSP.

so I do wish JVC or some one would come out with a 1K-2K SDI / component to HDV converter so that you could send the deck a real HD video signal.

Charles Barreto October 17th, 2008 01:08 PM

They told me they could also shoot it with a HVX200 and give me the cards. My problem is still the output.

SO is it safe to say that if they shoot this with the HVX200 at 720p I could later output it with the BR-HD50 at 720p? Also, if later I would to shoot added footage with my JVC, would both 720p match up in a timeline with no problem and master to tape with no problem?

Sorry about the questions...it is such a headache when a client wants to minimize the costs by doing some of the work themselves.... ARG!

Steve Oakley October 17th, 2008 01:19 PM

the HXV200 shoots DVCpro. yes you can mix and match DVCpro and HDV together in a TL. FCP6+ is happy with this.

here it the pain point. when you are done with you edit, you will need to set the TL to a 720p HDV setting, conform the TL, then send it to tape. however, if you pick a DVCpro setup, your pixel aspects will be off and you'll have to adjust some shots. I"d pick 1280X720 SQUARE pixels and ProRes. edit away, then when you are done, change the TL to 720p HDV. I've never done this exact route, but it should work. a quick test should confirm it.

do you really need to go to tape ? why not hand off a QT and save yourself a lot of time.

Mark Silva October 17th, 2008 04:51 PM

charles do yourself a HUGE favor and have them shoot on the HVX
and give you the cards.

edit and keep it in DVCPRO-HD the entire time the output a master
file and put it on a hard drive or Blu-Ray data disc.

DVCPRO-HD is a great stable, proven workflow that won't give
you any headaches at all.