DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HDV-SD60p in FCP 6.0.4 different for 2008? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/136927-hdv-sd60p-fcp-6-0-4-different-2008-a.html)

David Chapman October 30th, 2008 02:06 PM

HDV-SD60p in FCP 6.0.4 different for 2008?

Hey,

I wanted to see if anyone had shot any SD 60p on the HD100 now capturing easily into Final Cut Pro 6.0.4? Are we still using HVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip? I had a client shoot this setup by accident and now I am trying to find a quick way to get it in, without all the other workaround. He doesn't want the slowmo effect at all, so I would skip the transcoding process...

Mark Silva October 31st, 2008 10:24 AM

I don't think so. It's not available in the 110 or 250 cams anymore is it?

David Chapman November 1st, 2008 04:03 PM

I don't know. It is in the 100ua.

After a whole lot of running around and being one of the only ones in Tulsa that understands video at all, I came to the conclusion. My church just bought a Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse and I'll just go capture it there through component. I figure that since that will be analog, FCP won't know that it's HDV-SD60p and I can capture it as regular NTSC-DV Widescreen at 60i.

I would have solved this yesterday, but the pro video place in town (won't say who) had me come in to use their tower with the Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme. Yeah, they threw away the breakout cable that came with it so it's now useless unless you need hdmi or hd-sdi. O well...

PS: The dvhscap app in the developer tools doesn't work anymore on any updated OS. That was the workaround to get 60p into the computer to then use MPEGStreamclip to get a .mov file. Dvhscap was actually a demo showing developers how they could use protocols for firewire, but not really intended to be used as a practical piece of software. Also, it only works on Panther and Tiger (just not 10.4.11 for some reason). I did that workflow a year ago (10.4.9 maybe?) and it worked ok though.

Jeremy Clark November 6th, 2008 12:41 PM

I have an HD100, shot in HDV-SD60P, but had to import into iMovie because Final Cut couldn't detect the camera. After capture, I imported the clips into FCP - rendering takes more time, but at least it works. Looks fine.

David Knaggs November 6th, 2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Chapman (Post 958472)

PS: The dvhscap app in the developer tools doesn't work anymore on any updated OS. ... Also, it only works on Panther and Tiger (just not 10.4.11 for some reason).

Hi James (or do you prefer to be called David?).

I've been successfully using DVHSCap for nearly 3 1/2 years. I started using it on OS 10.3 (Panther), then OS 10.4 (Tiger) and now OS 10.5 (Leopard). I always install the OS 10 updates (currently on OS 10.5.5) and it continues to work like a charm. 100% rock-solid.

The reason it's so important for FCP/JVC ProHD users to have a working version of DVHSCap is that (thanks to the persistence of Tim Dashwood) Mike Woodworth of Divergent Media came up with the application "ClipWrap" which means the end of the dreaded "mid-clip breaks" when capturing HDV1 footage with FCP. The workflow is simple. Capture each clip as an .m2t file with DVHSCap, put a QuickTime wrapper (with no transcoding or conversion) around each .m2t with ClipWrap, then import the clips into FCP and work in a native timeline.

I have heard of some people having problems with DVHSCap versions from later SDKs, but I've always used and recommend the DVHSCap version from the “FireWire SDK 20” package (dated 2005-06-06) and it can be downloaded from this page:
Apple Developer Connection - Development Kits

Try downloading that version and see how you go.

Perhaps the later SDK versions have led some people to believe that DVHSCap "no longer works"?

I'm not sure if ClipWrap works with SD60p or not. But it works great with 720p24 and 720p25.

Greg Boston November 7th, 2008 03:41 AM

The brief time that I had an HD100 in my hands, I didn't use DVHSCAP (it's intended to emulate a DVHS vcr). There is another app in the SDK called AVC cap or something like it. That's what I used to bring in the material from the HD100 and it worked great.

-gb-