DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   short film shot on HD200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/137473-short-film-shot-hd200.html)

Brian Luce November 9th, 2008 12:39 PM

short film shot on HD200

Hi guys, here's a little short shot with an HD200 purchased from Texas Tapeworks. It was supposed to be an audition tape but looks like it can stand on its own. Feel free to tear it to shreds. It's barely 3 minutes long.
ALLAN By Ted Ramasola On ExposureRoom

Joseph A. Benoit November 9th, 2008 12:46 PM

Love it Brian

Love to hear all the details how you shot it.
Joe

Stuart Nimmo November 9th, 2008 04:05 PM

That is really beautiful Ted, when you mount some interesting glass and go in gently with soft lighting in the right hands the HD 200 series is capable of wonderful things. The more I see, the more I'm pleased to have one, Thanks for showing us. I too would love to hear about settings and filters

Justin Ferar November 9th, 2008 04:09 PM

Great to see that Brian and Ted are collaborating- been reading both of your posts for a long time.

The piece is excellent as an audition reel. We really get to hear her voice cadence and the lighting quality is pretty amazing for a minimal set up. VO quality sounds really good as well. Impressive!

Brian Luce November 9th, 2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 961502)
Great to see that Brian and Ted are collaborating- been reading both of your posts for a long time.

The piece is excellent as an audition reel. We really get to hear her voice cadence and the lighting quality is pretty amazing for a minimal set up. VO quality sounds really good as well. Impressive!

Thanks Justin, actually this little audition/short has dvinfo prints all over it. The camera came from Texas Tapeworks and was originally owned by Eric Gulbransen.

Ted Ramasola November 9th, 2008 10:37 PM

Joseph,

It was a rush rush thing, it was the first time for the talent to do something like that. I briefed and psyched her up first to get into character, I boarded each take with some quick sketches so she'll get an idea which part of her body needs to go into character. I used my DIY spinner with nikon mount. 50mm was for the opening only, the rest was the heavy 80-200 f2.8 which i can easily re-compose with without moving the camera. Our facility is in an old pre-war structure so the location was just there.

Light for the model are nine spiral flos which i placed in a DIY softbox.

Color grading done in after effects.

Justin,

This forum does have its print on it, Bob Hart and others here helped with that adapter. Brian provided the screenplay. Eric Gulbransen was where I got the HD200 from. -and oh, I used a modified version of Tim Dashwood's superwide scene file!

Michael Kraus November 10th, 2008 12:06 AM

Really really cool.

Really loved the script.

What was the work by Poe from which this was inspired?

Brian Luce November 10th, 2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Kraus (Post 961636)
Really really cool.

Really loved the script.

What was the work by Poe from which this was inspired?

I adapted "The Tell Tale Heart" in to a 12 page script. Modernized, changed a buncha stuff. The scene Ted filmed was the opening scene.

Thanks for the compliments!

Ted Ramasola November 10th, 2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Nimmo (Post 961501)
That is really beautiful Ted, when you mount some interesting glass and go in gently with soft lighting in the right hands the HD 200 series is capable of wonderful things. The more I see, the more I'm pleased to have one, Thanks for showing us. I too would love to hear about settings and filters

Stuart,

Thanks for the kind words.
I didn't filter the shots. All color grading was done in post.
I decided to color grade in AE since the pieces are short.
The settings I used for the camera, since this is the 200 series, is a modified setting of Tim's superwide scene file.
The 80-200 is a great bright piece of glass. -and its heavy.

Stefan Immler November 10th, 2008 03:17 PM

Very nice, love it!

There is a certain graininess in the pictures, does that come from the 35mm adapter?

Ted Ramasola November 11th, 2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Immler (Post 961886)
Very nice, love it!

There is a certain graininess in the pictures, does that come from the 35mm adapter?

Thanks,

The hd200 is a better camera in terms of handling noise as compared to the hd100, the equation changes with the addition of a lens adapter. the graininess is not so apparent in the raw footage. This is due to the lens adapter gg under low light conditions, the pushing of contrast and sharpness in post and worsened by low bitrate compression in wmv.

Stuart Nimmo November 12th, 2008 11:05 AM

Thank you for that info Ted, I've sent your inspirational clip to a couple of serious production manager friends here in Paris... No I didn't claim it as my own!

Ted Ramasola November 16th, 2008 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's awesome Stuart!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Immler (Post 961886)
Very nice, love it!

Stefan,

heres a frame grab from the raw m2t so you can see the "texture" produced by using the adapter and color rendering before the graded finished clip.

I was using a very slightly modified Tim Dashood Superwide scene file.