Zoom Lens Questions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom Lens Questions?

I am using a JVC gy-hd100 and I am looking for a zoom lens to replace the standard 16x.
My thoughts are on the Sigma 120-300 f2.8, Sigma 100-300 f4, or the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
I am confused, reading various threads. There is talk about these lenses not having an aperature ring, is this correct. If so what are my options? I will be shooting wildlife.
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from UWOL to ProHD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Jason,

Go for nikons. I have a 80-200 f2.8 and is amazing in shooting nature. A guy here, Eric Gulbransen uses the same plus a 80-300 and has done great nature shots with it. Try to do a search on him here and you can view his samples.

By the way, i guess by now you know you need a third party adapter to use these. Which one are you using? I have the Zoerk.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ted, I may have to look into a nikon lens. I had heard great things about the Sigma lens and I know Per Johan is using a 70-200 Sigma with great results that I have seen. I havent purchased the adapter yet, but I am going to get the MTF.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Trustee

I have several Sigmas in my arsenal too Jason. I use them for my wide shots.
They are good and cheaper, and the models i use have aperture rings.

You may want to consider getting used nikons on keh.com if you're on a budget.
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Some of the newer lenses that Nikon and Sigma brought out do not have aperture rings so cannot be used. But, there are older models out there that do. I have the new Sigma 70-200 which is of similar quality to the Nikon but would have to buy an older lens to use with a video cam. The Nikon 80-200 is a really good model.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies View Post
Some of the newer lenses that Nikon and Sigma brought out do not have aperture rings so cannot be used. But, there are older models out there that do. I have the new Sigma 70-200 which is of similar quality to the Nikon but would have to buy an older lens to use with a video cam. The Nikon 80-200 is a really good model.
This is correct. Most of the newer digital lenses don't have aperture rings (the camera itself has the aperture), and newer versions are sometimes denoted with a "G" (if they're Nikkor).

On a side note, how are you connecting the lens to the camera? What adapter?
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is the Nikon 80-200 still sharp when used with a x1.4 extender?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
Is the Nikon 80-200 still sharp when used with a x1.4 extender?
Dave,

Do you mean putting an extender on the 80-200 then onto the mtf/zoerk then onto the jvc? or in general terms as when its used on a dslr?
Because when you put the nikon, any slr lens for that matter, onto the jvc via mtf/zoerk adapter it effectively increases its focal length by, uh if my memory is right, about 8x.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; November 21st, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi guys

I have a number of Canon DSLR lenses.

Does anyone make adapters to run these on the JVCs?
Kevin Ahronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Scott, I plan on using the MTF adapter, which gives apox. 7.2 magnification
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

thanks for all the help, after doing a bit more research I am now in search of some older lenses. Does anyone know if the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a new lens and there is no older option for this one??
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
thanks for all the help, after doing a bit more research I am now in search of some older lenses. Does anyone know if the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a new lens and there is no older option for this one??
Hi Jason,

I'm wondering if I have the calculation of that adapter MTF correct. If the magnification is 7.2x then the lens would effectively be a 864-2160mm? Am I missing something?

Also, how much did that adapter run you?
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Scott, your calculations are correct, I have not purchased yet, but it is in the works. Runs just over $400 shipped from Mike Tappa of MTF Services in London. I am currently looking for a lens or two then will purchase the adapter. There are also a couple other options out there, another is from a company called Zoerk JVC GY-HD200 Lens adapter comparison - Zoerk VS MTF
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davis View Post
Hi Scott, your calculations are correct, I have not purchased yet, but it is in the works. Runs just over $400 shipped from Mike Tappa of MTF Services in London. I am currently looking for a lens or two then will purchase the adapter. There are also a couple other options out there, another is from a company called Zoerk JVC GY-HD200 Lens adapter comparison - Zoerk VS MTF
Can you explain the reason for such a huge zoom? I don't understand how that adapter can be useable. Is it for documentary type things? For narrative I can't see using anything with that high a focal length, even 200mm (normal, no magnification) would seem high to me.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems