DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Zoom Lens Questions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/137547-zoom-lens-questions.html)

Jason Davis November 10th, 2008 09:24 PM

Zoom Lens Questions?

I am using a JVC gy-hd100 and I am looking for a zoom lens to replace the standard 16x.
My thoughts are on the Sigma 120-300 f2.8, Sigma 100-300 f4, or the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
I am confused, reading various threads. There is talk about these lenses not having an aperature ring, is this correct. If so what are my options? I will be shooting wildlife.

Chris Hurd November 10th, 2008 10:01 PM

Moved from UWOL to ProHD.

Ted Ramasola November 10th, 2008 10:34 PM

Jason,

Go for nikons. I have a 80-200 f2.8 and is amazing in shooting nature. A guy here, Eric Gulbransen uses the same plus a 80-300 and has done great nature shots with it. Try to do a search on him here and you can view his samples.

By the way, i guess by now you know you need a third party adapter to use these. Which one are you using? I have the Zoerk.

Ted

Jason Davis November 10th, 2008 10:47 PM

Thanks Ted, I may have to look into a nikon lens. I had heard great things about the Sigma lens and I know Per Johan is using a 70-200 Sigma with great results that I have seen. I havent purchased the adapter yet, but I am going to get the MTF.

Ted Ramasola November 10th, 2008 10:57 PM

I have several Sigmas in my arsenal too Jason. I use them for my wide shots.
They are good and cheaper, and the models i use have aperture rings.

You may want to consider getting used nikons on keh.com if you're on a budget.

Andrew Davies November 11th, 2008 05:03 AM

Some of the newer lenses that Nikon and Sigma brought out do not have aperture rings so cannot be used. But, there are older models out there that do. I have the new Sigma 70-200 which is of similar quality to the Nikon but would have to buy an older lens to use with a video cam. The Nikon 80-200 is a really good model.

Scott Lovejoy November 20th, 2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies (Post 962073)
Some of the newer lenses that Nikon and Sigma brought out do not have aperture rings so cannot be used. But, there are older models out there that do. I have the new Sigma 70-200 which is of similar quality to the Nikon but would have to buy an older lens to use with a video cam. The Nikon 80-200 is a really good model.

This is correct. Most of the newer digital lenses don't have aperture rings (the camera itself has the aperture), and newer versions are sometimes denoted with a "G" (if they're Nikkor).

On a side note, how are you connecting the lens to the camera? What adapter?

Dave Tyrer November 21st, 2008 04:26 AM

Is the Nikon 80-200 still sharp when used with a x1.4 extender?

Ted Ramasola November 21st, 2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 966779)
Is the Nikon 80-200 still sharp when used with a x1.4 extender?

Dave,

Do you mean putting an extender on the 80-200 then onto the mtf/zoerk then onto the jvc? or in general terms as when its used on a dslr?
Because when you put the nikon, any slr lens for that matter, onto the jvc via mtf/zoerk adapter it effectively increases its focal length by, uh if my memory is right, about 8x.

Ted

Kevin Ahronson November 21st, 2008 02:16 PM

Hi guys

I have a number of Canon DSLR lenses.

Does anyone make adapters to run these on the JVCs?

Jason Davis November 21st, 2008 11:00 PM

Scott, I plan on using the MTF adapter, which gives apox. 7.2 magnification

Jason Davis November 21st, 2008 11:03 PM

thanks for all the help, after doing a bit more research I am now in search of some older lenses. Does anyone know if the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a new lens and there is no older option for this one??

Scott Lovejoy November 22nd, 2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 967280)
thanks for all the help, after doing a bit more research I am now in search of some older lenses. Does anyone know if the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a new lens and there is no older option for this one??

Hi Jason,

I'm wondering if I have the calculation of that adapter MTF correct. If the magnification is 7.2x then the lens would effectively be a 864-2160mm? Am I missing something?

Also, how much did that adapter run you?

Jason Davis November 22nd, 2008 09:09 PM

Hi Scott, your calculations are correct, I have not purchased yet, but it is in the works. Runs just over $400 shipped from Mike Tappa of MTF Services in London. I am currently looking for a lens or two then will purchase the adapter. There are also a couple other options out there, another is from a company called Zoerk JVC GY-HD200 Lens adapter comparison - Zoerk VS MTF

Scott Lovejoy November 22nd, 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Davis (Post 967606)
Hi Scott, your calculations are correct, I have not purchased yet, but it is in the works. Runs just over $400 shipped from Mike Tappa of MTF Services in London. I am currently looking for a lens or two then will purchase the adapter. There are also a couple other options out there, another is from a company called Zoerk JVC GY-HD200 Lens adapter comparison - Zoerk VS MTF

Can you explain the reason for such a huge zoom? I don't understand how that adapter can be useable. Is it for documentary type things? For narrative I can't see using anything with that high a focal length, even 200mm (normal, no magnification) would seem high to me.