HD-110 Doesn't work with battery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Tourist

Plug issue

OK...here's my story of woe and bewilderment. My JVC GY-HD111e stopped working on the battery so I rang the nice JVC people in the UK and spoke to a guy in the tech dept. In no time at all we managed to ascertain that it was the wee yellow ring from the plug broken off and stuck inside the socket. That was good..then came the horror shock of the cost..of shipping the camera to the UK from Ireland ("grey import" due to being bought in the US on a shoot-long story) and then the cost of pulling it all apart and possibly replacing parts and then shipping back. The total was going to be nearly €500 or so and possibly up to a month without the camera.

To cut a long story short...and being a typical camera operator with a lateral thought process and an eye on costs..ten minutes later I rang them back with a solution for their records which took me about 3 minutes to carry out. All I did was to apply a touch of superglue to the end of the plug on the broken surface..inserted it..waited three minutes and pulled it out slowly..and got the offending yellow part out enough to pull it with a bent needle after it broke off again. Camera fixed.

It didn't stop there...lol. In desperation..due to the bad performance of the batteries..and need for a power supply I hot-wired the broken end and used the intact one on the camera..and that broke off too. Then I bought a new lead for an exorbitant sum from a dealer..and had exactly the same thing happen again. I'm a sucker for punishment. Three times I had to pull off that recovery operation.

The bit I'm wondering about..is that seeing as a colleague of mine has the same camera I tried his lead...but it didn't work with my power supply/charger. That means by the look of it, that they changed the sockets on the chargers..so even if I get one of the new leads..it won't work with my supply/charger and will have to buy one of those as well. Considering it's a major design or manufacturing fault with the plug..us owners have to swallow that type of cost. Not on. I know my cam is a "grey import" you might have thought JVC would stand over design faults maybe...and buy some good will?

There you go. No need to send it to a dealer or to JVC...very careful use of superglue is the answer. Oh..and I've found the same lead being used for other JVC consumer cams and chargers for a fraction of the price I paid because of it being a a "professional" product. I'll let you know if I have to get the superglue out again.

At the end of the day..I love the camera(s)...the best bang for buck in the market in it's class. It has delivered some amazing work over the last two years and even my mates on ENG teams love it..compared to humping Digibeta monsters around. I shoot in 720p and deliver in SD digibeta for broadcast and get compliments all the way on the footage. One small lead will not **** me off lol.

Cheers

Padraig
Padraig Ui Ruairc is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems