DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD-110 Doesn't work with battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/137988-hd-110-doesnt-work-battery.html)

Ed Dooley November 18th, 2008 12:01 PM

HD-110 Doesn't work with battery

My Hd-110 just stopped working with the battery pack (an IDX AE2-HD100), but works fine on AC. I did a search here and found a couple of examples of the same thing which pointed to the internal AC/Battery switch being stuck in AC, which required a trip to JVC to fix. Has anybody else run into this, and perhaps have a different reason it happened, and a solution without the JVC trip? Batteries, connections, and mounting are all good.
Ed

Robert Adams November 18th, 2008 12:27 PM

possible solution

Hi Ed

I don't know how to make a shortcut to this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...e-upgrade.html

but it is a thread on the same problem I had a few months ago. Basically, I found that after plugging in the AC adaptor a tiny yellow insulation ring snapped off the end of the AC cable, stuck inside the AC plug socket, and locked the battery/ac switch to ac.

first thing I'd do, if I were you, is look at the camera end of your AC cable. If there is no yellow plastic isolating ring on the end of the cable, I'd suspect this as your problem. If you follow the tread above, you will find a fairly detailed explanation on how to fix it without returning the unit to JVC.

I'm in eastern Congo, covering the crisis there, so have only sporadic internet access, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how you get on.

Best wishes and good luck

Rob Adams

Robert Adams November 18th, 2008 12:29 PM

Ah-ha! I see that the ever-so-clever DV info machine makes a shortcut without me having to do anything!

Ed Dooley November 18th, 2008 01:03 PM

Thanks for the link Robert, I read that thread. My AC connector has its yellow end. When I look into the slot in the camera where the connector is inserted, it's yellow too, so
at first I thought it might be the tip of the AC power cord in there, but it's all normal (the tip has all its yellow end intact.
How's the area around Goma holding up?
Ed

Matthew Rogers November 18th, 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Dooley (Post 965434)
Thanks for the link Robert, I read that thread. My AC connector has its yellow end. When I look into the slot in the camera where the connector is inserted, it's yellow too, so
at first I thought it might be the tip of the AC power cord in there, but it's all normal (the tip has all its yellow end intact.
How's the area around Goma holding up?
Ed

I'd say your screwed then and need to send the camera to JVC:( I haven't plugged my camera back into AC since I got it back from JVC last year. With 7 150watt batteries, I could run my camera for a week before I run out of power, so that seems cheaper than another repair from JVC.

Matthew

Ed Dooley November 18th, 2008 04:25 PM

Anyone who has had the DC jack/switch replaced happen to have a JVC invoice with the part name and number they replaced? My camera's out of warranty and there are a number of parts suppliers who carry HD-110 parts, but the descriptions are somewhat vague.
thanks,
Ed

Robert Adams November 18th, 2008 08:31 PM

Ed; the yellow insulating ring has a T profile: in other words, if you cut a section through it it would be T shaped. Even if the top part of the T snaps off, there is still a bit of yellow plastic left on the cable. I reckon that if you can see yellow inside the socket on the camera, then you're problem is the infamous "broken yellow bit" problem.

Goma's a mess. Volcanoes, cholera, eight warring groups, 1.2 million people displaced...

Great pictures though.

R

John Spear November 19th, 2008 05:42 AM

Did you fix your cam? The exact same problem happened to me and I was freaking out.
I have the IDX kit as well. I began calling JVC and they wanted me to send it to N.J. the local houses wanted me to leave the cam with them etc. but I found some threads here and was able to fix it myself... Yeah, it did feel pretty good when that battery turned it on...

It was a yellow ring from the tip of the AC adapter that gets stuck inside the jack. Don't ask me how but it shorts the batt. At first I couldn't see it but with a good magnifying glass and a flashlight it was oviously there inside the jack...a yellow ring. I very carefully broke it up with a very small tool(a screw driver a very very thin one the kind you use to screw in your glasses). I would be very careful and have it removed if you are not EXTRA CAREFUL.

here are some posts.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...-not-turn.html

Hope it helps

Ed Dooley November 20th, 2008 10:13 AM

Thanks John and Robert,
I guess it's time for these old eyes to get a magnifying glass. There is clearly yellow way inside the jack, but the jack has yellow too. Can anyone tell me if the yellow on the jack normally extends out further than the metal part of the jack? On mine the yellow is inside the metal jack and comes out flush with it at the end, but doesn't extend beyond the metal. And secondly, if I'm seeing any yellow inside the AC plug on the camera, can I assume that it has to be part of the plug broken off inside, or is there a yellow piece of plastic that's supposed to be inside as well?
Thanks again for the help,
Ed

Robert Adams November 20th, 2008 01:17 PM

You definitely have the snapped off ring-piece (!) problem. The yellow on the AC cable end SHOULD extend beyond the end of the metal. If it ends flush with the metal the end ring is stuck in your AC jack, and that is why it won't switch over to battery.

No question about this mate; this is DEFINiTELY your problem. There are two ways of extracting it: one is to break up the yellow plastic ring in situ, the other is to take the camera apart. If you decide to go for the latter option you should send me an email in adams@satsys.net and I can send you a pdf file that JVC in Joburg gave me of how to dismantle the camera and get to the offending part.

It's about 3 hours work - probably less if you are really competent or you know someone who is really competent. You'll need fine-point cross head screw drivers, a fine point soldering iron (and a steady hand) and a magnifying glass.

I'm travelling tomorrow morning - I'll check this thread before I go to sleep in an hour or so and again when I wake up.

Hope it works out for you.

Best wishes

R

Ed Dooley November 20th, 2008 01:31 PM

Thanks again Robert, yes please send me the pdf. I'm shooting you a personal e-mail now.
Ed

Ed Dooley December 5th, 2008 10:38 AM

Success!

An update on my yellow plastic part stuck in the DC-in jack. I used John's suggestion and spun a jeweler's screwdriver into the plastic until it broke up into pieces. Thanks John! And thanks to Rob for his suggestion (and the service manual!).
Ed

Todd R. Peterson April 6th, 2009 04:22 PM

Same battery issue fixed!

I had the same problem. Batteries would not work. Saw the little yellow piece in the dc input. Smashed it up with a tiny flat head screw driver. Sucked the broken pieces out with a vacuum. Attached the battery and it worked! Thank you everyone!

Sean Adair April 6th, 2009 08:29 PM

Luckilly the 200 I own has the robust power connections (4-pin xlr & permanently attached pro battery plate). However, I do work with a clients 100/110 and I'm curious. Would it make sense if this HASN'T happened to you yet to trim the yellow plastic from the AC adapter? I'll have to take a look to see if it's self-explanatory where to do this.

Ed Dooley April 9th, 2009 07:57 PM

Funny to see old threads reborn!
I too used a jeweler's screwdriver and chewed up the yellow tip.
As for whether you can simply remove the yellow tip prophylactically
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. When you insert the AC adaptor tip, it pushes a metal spring aside, which signals the camera that you're now using the AC adaptor instead of the battery. When the tip breaks off and gets stuck, the spring stays pushed aside
and the camera thinks you're still using the adaptor and doesn't give you battery
power. But I would think the plastic yellow tip plays another role (why have a
plastic tip otherwise?). I think the plastic must be isolating the positive from the negative
poles of the adaptor.
Ed