DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GG, Mini35 ???.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/138805-gg-mini35.html)

John Harbor December 1st, 2008 11:44 PM

GG, Mini35 ???....

Can someone explain a GG to me and the Mini35 and why they are used ?

Sorry but I am new to HD and have been using conventional SD Camera's up till now.

Cheers
John

Ted Ramasola December 2nd, 2008 03:25 AM

John,

This question is best addressed at the alternative imaging threads.

Alternative Imaging Methods - The Digital Video Information Network

Also here.

35mm Adapters: Construction; Function; Pros/Cons - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Ted

John Harbor December 2nd, 2008 06:27 AM

Thanks Ted, The second link was just what I was after......... :)

John

Ted Ramasola December 2nd, 2008 06:35 AM

Your welcome John,

By the way, you posted on the JVC forum, are you planning on getting a JVC as your HD cam? if so, theres a lot of people here in this forum who can help you make the most of it.

If you also plan to use that with a lens adapter, theres also a lot of help here.

One of those guys who can religiously go through the nuances of the combination is an ozzy like you, Bob hart, is from Perth. I'm sure he'll chime in here to help you out once you've done your initial research and begin to ask specific questions on the matter.

Good luck on your reading,

Ted

John Harbor December 2nd, 2008 09:40 PM

Hi again Ted,

Yes I have acquired 2 of them.

A GY-HD111E and a GY-HD200U

I want to shoot in HD only for a couple of projects coming up.
I have previously used DVCPro50 for my stuff, but we are doing a few off road Doco's and the smaller lighter camera's will be my choice of weapon :)

I own an outside broadcast company, so I have heaps of 2/3 lenses to play with as well, and I have purchased the 1/3 to 2/3 Fujinon adapter to do that.

Still so much to learn !!! HD is sooooooo different from anything else I have done.

John

Ted Ramasola December 3rd, 2008 12:51 AM

John,

We have the HD100 and HD200, they're both solid cams. A word of caution is that when you decide to use scene files is that both don't have the same colorometry due to new AD circuits in the 200.

Ted

John Harbor December 3rd, 2008 01:21 AM

Yes thanks for that,
I have been reading about the differences here on the forum.....a very very handy source of information.
As soon as I get time, I am going to put them through their paces in our workshop and see how much tweeking can be done......looking forward to that.
I will, as I get to use these camera's, have a whole bunch of questions no doubt, so I hope you can all bear with me !
One thing I have noticed already though , is the amount you can customize the hardware and the internal software/settings.
Looking forward to the learning curve :)

John

Stuart Campbell December 3rd, 2008 02:13 AM

John,

A word of caution when considering 35mm dof adapters for your JVCs. In my experience, if you are a professional, budget 35mm adapters that bolt on to the front of the lens are simply not worth it...AT ALL!! They'll give you nothing but grief, wasted money and delays in production, not to mention shoddy unprofessional customer service from some of the companies that make them.

Ted, however, (who was really helpful to me when we first entered the field of adapters) is one of the lucky few who is able to get some really fantastic results.

As you own an OB unit I think you'll be clued up enough to realise that there's nothing to gain in spending as little as possible. So, do the right thing and spend the cash whether you hire or buy and get yourself a P+S Technik that just bolts straight onto the bayonet mount of the camera body. Another alternative would be the JVC 16mm lens adapter that works independently of the Fujinon lens.

On a more positive note, once you get the right bit of kit on the front of the JVC you should expect some smashing pictures. We've been really impressed and have even used the JVC over a DigiBeta on a couple of jobs because the picture had so much more character for what we were doing!

Regards
Stuart

John Harbor December 3rd, 2008 05:39 AM

Hi Stuart,

Yes over the years I have learnt that results are directly proportional to money spent with anything to do with lenses.......any optical stuff really.

Yes I agree the HD format has a definite distinct look over Digi Beta and the Pro50 I still have here.
I really enjoy this format so far...... I think I will wait until I can justify a mini35.
It seems like they are the leaders in this sort of thing.
I really like the JVC because of its Size V's features... it will be so much better jumping out of vehicles and filming with something so small and agile compared to full size broadcast camera's.
The DOF adaptor is not something I need right away, so I can wait for a while yet.

Looking forward to many posts with you guys !! thanks for the help so far.

John