Uncompressed HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Uncompressed HD

Is there some sort of attachment for a laptop express slot that would allow you to take in uncompressed HD from the JVC component out and preview it on the laptop as well as record it uncompressed on the laptop?

In my searching, I've seen lots of references to recording HDV from the firewire port of a JVC to a laptop, but not the component out.

Or, am I nuts.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
Is there some sort of attachment for a laptop express slot that would allow you to take in uncompressed HD from the JVC component out and preview it on the laptop as well as record it uncompressed on the laptop?

In my searching, I've seen lots of references to recording HDV from the firewire port of a JVC to a laptop, but not the component out.

Or, am I nuts.
It can be done but you need some crazy raid. And I don't know what hardware you need. Laptop might be a tough sell.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok, so to record it in the higher bandwidth intencity of HD you would need an extremely fast system? Hmm. The laptop is just a core2duo 2gig with 4 gigs of ram and two 320 gig 7200 harddrives. I don't think I can configure them as raid.

It was an idea.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Nevermind...
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #5
New Boot

On a MacBook Pro I guess you could use the Matrox MXO2. You have component inputs on that, and it's fairly portable.
Don't know if there is such a thing for PC's.

In addition you could attach an external eSata drive to your laptop, possible by using a eSata expansion card to provide the connection for faster transfer speeds.
Alex Pitstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

AJA IoHD

AJA Video - Serial Digital Video Interface and Conversion
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Wrangler

Jason. Others have mentioned the MXO2 and ioHD for use on the Macbook Pro. Both products support component YRB input. I'll explain further.

The Matrox MXO2 is purpose-built to capture uncompressed 10-bit to a Macbook Pro using a proprietary interface card in the ExpressCard34 slot. I'm not sure if a FW800 drive would maintain the bit rate for you... maybe two in a RAID would work best.
The MXO2 also supports ProRes422 HQ which would be considered a lossless codec that could be captured to a FW800 drive (or possibly a FW400 drive.)

The Aja IoHD supports the capture of ProRes 422 over firewire 800. I do not believe it is capable of full uncompressed, and I'm not even sure if it can do ProRes422 HQ or just ProRes422.
You would also have to research how well it would work with external FW400 or FW800 drives connected to a MacbookPro. eSATA connection to external drive might be the ideal solution.
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The MXO2 can capture 720P or 1080i with at least DuoCore 2.4ghz laptop, but not 1080P, you need a QuadCore for that. The IoHD captures to ProRes in hardware, so it can use any DuoCore laptop over 2.33ghz, but it needs more horsepower to do native DVCProHD (they don't say how much more, they recommend putting your DVCProHD into a ProRes timeline to make it work).
Ed
Ed Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Wrangler

Thanks for the clarification Ed.
Do you know if either of these products can do real-time preview from sequences other than ProRes422?
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Jason. Others have mentioned the MXO2 and ioHD for use on the Macbook Pro. Both products support component YRB input. I'll explain further.

The Matrox MXO2 is purpose-built to capture uncompressed 10-bit to a Macbook Pro using a proprietary interface card in the ExpressCard34 slot. I'm not sure if a FW800 drive would maintain the bit rate for you... maybe two in a RAID would work best.
The MXO2 also supports ProRes422 HQ which would be considered a lossless codec that could be captured to a FW800 drive (or possibly a FW400 drive.)
Tim, doesn't this mxo2 also allow a basic computer monitor to do legitimate color correcting? If so, seems like a great product.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes it does. It does even do real-time HDMI and component or composite a out at once
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I really like this Matrox device and think it might be perfect. I have a Macbook pro that would work perfectly I think.
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Trustee

MXO2 is 1/2 the price of the AJA IOhd, 1/2 the weight, and can run on 12V batteries with an extra cable ( MXO2 power connector -> XLR 4 )

or just look at the video I did for matrox here using a HD100 to shoot :)

Matrox MXO2 - Watch video
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
MXO2 is 1/2 the price of the AJA IOhd, 1/2 the weight, and can run on 12V batteries with an extra cable ( MXO2 power connector -> XLR 4 )

Great stuff. By all accounts this seems to be an awesome product.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Component In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post

I am also interested in this product with the idea of shooting directly into it from my HD-110 via the analog component connectors. Steve, is this by any chance how you shot this piece? Does anyone have experience with the quality of the output from the HD-110 component ports?

Thanks.
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems