GY-HD100 Tape mechanism at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Major Player

GY-HD100 Tape mechanism

Last Sunday my tape mechanism broke! I had it repaired last afternoon, setting me back over $250. The interesting thing is, the tech told me this was a common problem with this model, hence JVC re-designed the mechanism. Now, if I was buying some consumer camera I would say, OK. But if you $pend over 3K on a camera, why didn't JVC recall the tape mechanism? They knew well the initial design was a junk.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

because a business would rather repair those that do break (within warranty) than replace every single unit regardless of whether it'll go wrong or not! Wouldn't you?? It just wouldn't make any economical sense to spend millions repairing stuff that's not broken, even if there is a chance that it ...'might'!

Now, you said you got your tape mechanism repaired for 250 dollars? That sounds mighty cheap to me! Would you mind elaborating on the problem?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
because a business would rather repair those that do break (within warranty) than replace every single unit regardless of whether it'll go wrong or not! Wouldn't you?? It just wouldn't make any economical sense to spend millions repairing stuff that's not broken, even if there is a chance that it ...'might'!

Now, you said you got your tape mechanism repaired for 250 dollars? That sounds mighty cheap to me! Would you mind elaborating on the problem?
Stuart, don't want to sound rude, but this grab your money and run mentality is not OK with me. The camera is out of warranty, so there is no chance to have it covered. I had to fork off the money out of my own pocket. To me and most of people I know $250 bucks is not a pocket change. This problem was very well known from early on and JVC did not even mention this at all.
The problem is with the tape tray. In GY-HD100 units (101 in PAL land) it connects to sliding axis with little metal clips. These metal clips simply brake. The new design uses solid metal rings instead of clips. And this is what I am talking about- the design was junk from day one, but looks like JVC doesn't stand behind their product.
I called customer support from JVC and after being on hold forever the attitude I received was basically not to bother them with my problem.
This attitude might work for them in a short run, but I honestly think this is the last JVC product I will buy in the next several years. I will also tell people to avoid JVC as your source of gear. As soon as I am done with this project in February I am selling this junk and I am switching to Panasonic, Sony or Canon.

Last edited by Robert Rogoz; December 5th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Major Player

my tape mech broke down every twomonths... I switched to tapeless solution :)
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim View Post
my tape mech broke down every twomonths... I switched to tapeless solution :)
It is a solution in some situations. I was on a shoot in a remote location, where there is no possibility of re-shooting. I use the tape as a back-up. I am glad I did. while hanging on a rope my firewire had to shift in one of the ports and HDD did not record a couple of takes. DR-HD100 has a super flimsy firewire port I must say.
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Robert,

Firstly, don't worry, nothing taken as being rude!

I understand your frustration. There's nothing worse than paying money for ANYTHING only to find it doesn't work as it should. However, that said look at the bigger picture. Whilst you are right to be cross if JVC knew about the problem, how would it affect the customer in the longer term if they recalled every single camera they made just because they discovered (afterwards) that one small part was prone to breaking? The cost of recalling every camera on the basis that it 'might' break down would be astronomical. Who do you think would ultimately bear the brunt of that expense? The customer of course! Prices would go up as a result and we'd all end up paying for something that might not have happened! and to be fair, this is the first time I've ever heard of tape mech faults in this camera! (I've heard of plenty of other faults mind!)

So, I think that JVC took the right decision to just repair any that 'do' break! and in the mean time just make sure the problem was resolved on the following model, which, as you say, they did.

As for your disgust at the repair price, well yes 250 dollars may be a great deal of money to some, but you have to remember you could easily pay that sort of money to have a home movie camera repaired. It cost me (on insurance) 260 Euros alone to have a small digital stills camera repaired. You have to consider that the GYHD cameras are, as you say, several thousands of dollars to buy and are as such a professional end product. Therefore you should ALWAYS assume from day one, and factor this into your future accounting for the years ahead, that these cameras WILL cost you money in repair and maintenance. FACT. I have thousands of Euros budgeted for every year just on maintenance and repair of our kit.

Before I got rid of my Beta SP it was costing me nearly 1000 UK pounds per year to keep it going. My current Digi Beta costs me at least 500 UK pounds each year to maintain and service.....so......250 dollars was CHEAP! You were lucky!!!!!

Professional equipment is a tool. You use it every day. It's simply not possible to build precision electronic equipment, used in demanding situations, that won't ever break down.

And, don't think you won't get the same sort of problems on other brands. It's not just a JVC personal attack on its customers!

(oh, and I don't work for JVC by the way)! I'm just trying to make you feel better about forking out 250 dollars!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mine broke also. Thank goodness, i bought an extended warranty for $80 that covered the $468 repair.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Trustee

I have to say, on a JVC camera, getting an extended warranty has saved me a great deal of cash. I had the tape transport and optical block replaced under it.

as for the tape door, I think its pretty sturdy. in comparison, I had a EVV9000 dockable Hi8 deck on my big sony camera. that tape door mechanism was _really_ flimsy. fist time I took it to sony and it cost $350 to fix. 2nd time I bought the service manual ($75) and the part for $50. it was 4 screws to change out, 10 minutes, really very simple. I changed the mechanism at least one more time while I had it. ever since then I've be done a lot of my own simple service work, just buying the parts as needed. sometimes, this work is really easy, other times I will send it out because you either need specialty tools, or the risk of more problems isn't worth it - at least if you don't the service manual.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
The problem is with the tape tray. In GY-HD100 units (101 in PAL land) it connects to sliding axis with little metal clips. These metal clips simply brake. The new design uses solid metal rings instead of clips.
I had my HD100 serviced one time for an in-warranty ccd block replacement (one side went all purple)

I just looked inside and it has the metal rings!
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Major Player

The tape hinges broke on my 100 last summer, had it fixed by JVC (can't remeber how much it cost). It broke again in the winter and I had to pay again for the repair, unbelievable! JVC in China said they only operate a 3 month warranty on these repairs.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems