Wil the Sony HVR-MRC1 Recorder work w/JVCHD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wil the Sony HVR-MRC1 Recorder work w/JVCHD100?

I have been trying to find this out for awhile, and nobody seems to have any answer.
Is the Sony HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT compatible with the JVC HD100.

Sony's site, JVC and B&H show no compatibility lists, it can be seen here on B&H

Sony | HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT | HVR-MRC1K | B&H Photo

Will like to find out ASAP, as I have to replace my Firestore DR-HD100 which has major issues.
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ive been trying to find a definitive answer on this as well. And so far, from reading the manual, it only records 1080i streams. Which I am assuming would make it incompatible with the JVC cameras (with the exception of the 200u - but even then you are limited to 30p/60i)

What are your issues with the DR HD100?
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Stay Away from the DR-HD100, serious audio issues!!

Stay away from this drive at all costs, it has ruined many shoots for me already!

I had serious sound issues with the drive, and cost me several days of interview shooting.
The drive would record a high-pitch hum and also garbled the audio up, making it seem like the person was talking underwater.

As this issue happens when the files are being recorded to the drive, not to any actualy dv tape that may be in the camera, so you cannot monitor it.
I should of have backed up to tape, but I really trusted this drive to replace tape-based recording. The audio was perfect through my headphones, but the issue happens once the file is written.

I tried exhausting all possibilities, replacing my mics, make sure I wasn't peaking while recording, and after I couldn't fix the problem, I googled the issue, and sure enough found the same issue reported here on this forum.

Firestore has acknoweldged that this problem exists, and has yet to solve it. They say they are working on the issues. I also know that Firestore has went in and out of bankruptcy, as well as releasing the newer FS-5, so I don't imagine them fixing this issue with the DR-HD100 in this lifetime.

I find it totally incomprehensible that JVC/Firestore would release such a product, in a professional market, while knowing that such a serious problem exists. Unless you are simultaneously recording to tape, this drive will ruin any interview audio. Which makes the DR-hd100 utterly useless!

Luckily, my JVC dealer was kind enough to understand this issue, and I was able to return the drive back to JVC. When I asked him how JVC could knowingly have a product with such a serious issue, he simply remarked, "Well, that's JVC, nothing new."
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Does anyone have an answer to this!?! I really need to get a HD recorder for my HD110, and would like to know if the HVR recorder would work with the JVC recording 720/24p.

I've called Sony, I've called B&H, I've called my JVC rep...to no avail. Please help!!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Ben,

The official answer is no: the specs on the MRC1K say it supports 1080i (or 24p embedded in a 1080i stream) only. So, for an HD200/250 set to send 1080i down the firewire pipe, it should work. For an HD100/110, officially not.

However, many previous Sony products have had undocumented capabilities, such as NTSC/PAL compatibility, or the ability for DV cameras to read DVCAM tapes. So, the only way to know for sure is to hook one up to a JVC ProHD camera and see what happens. You will, of course, want to follow all of JVC's recommendations about powering everything off before linking the firewire cables to avoid frying either firewire port.

I'm curious about this, too. I may contact my local Sony dealer and see if they have a demo unit I could test with my HD100. If I do, I'll post back here with any results.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I was about to buy a firestore drive some months back then
read about all these weird....once in a blue moon....audio glitches
people have had to deal with.

no thank you.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7
New Boot

This issue seems only to occur when DR-HD100 is in QuickTime mode. When you put the unit in M2T there is no problem. Use QuickWrap to rewrap M2T's in QT MOV for Final Cut.
Alex Pitstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pitstra View Post
This issue seems only to occur when DR-HD100 is in QuickTime mode. When you put the unit in M2T there is no problem. Use QuickWrap to rewrap M2T's in QT MOV for Final Cut.

Nope, there have been reports of audio problems even before quicktime file support was implemented.

if its not near 100% fail proof like XDCAM, it's just not worth it to me.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Trustee

I had a shooter this weekend with one. outside, temp about 32F and the thing would shut off / act weird.

they are not the most reliable devices around, wish there was a better solution which seems to be... HDV->ProRes FW capture in FCP. haven't tried any of the other HD recorders. the real solution will be the 700 :(
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the MR-HD100 (the FS-5 version of the DR DH100) and have not had any problems whatsoever with it. Very reliable so far.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Are you using the MR-HD100 with the HD100 series? I was told that the MR-HD100 couldn't record 720p as Quicktime.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Im using it with the 200. It can record 720p at all frame rates in quicktime. And since the 200 can output 1080i, it can also record that, not at all frame rates though I believe.
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
I had a shooter this weekend with one. outside, temp about 32F and the thing would shut off / act weird.

they are not the most reliable devices around, wish there was a better solution which seems to be... HDV->ProRes FW capture in FCP. haven't tried any of the other HD recorders. the real solution will be the 700 :(
FireStore Drives are not the best devices around. Unfortunately they are the only HDR devices with a long history. I have a FS-4HD which has the 720 HDV QuickTime upgrade but I turned it off now that ClipWrap is available. Every now and then the FireStore would mess up the QuickTime file, fortunately I always run a tape backup. With m2t files there hasn't been a problem yet.

I worked on a independent film where a Panasonic HVX200 was hooked up to a FireStore instead of using P2 cards. Never had a problem during the shoot.

The battery conking out in cold weather is a problem with many devices. I kept the FireStore going for one brief outdoor cold weather shoot by keeping the drive under my coat although blocking the vents can really cause problems in the long run.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Tourist

Focus DR-HD100 reliability

I use a Focus DR-HD100 with a GY-HD200B and it's been flawless so far. Including a five hour uniterrupted record. I use the M2T mode.

The only issue I have ever had was an "Over Temperature" warning after the camera and recorder were in the blazing sun for about two hours. Folks on the crew were passing out and hiding from the sun so it was really hot. I fanned the unit with a piece of cardboard for a minute and rigged a loose, light colored shade over the recorder. Everything was fine after that.

My unit is less than a year old. Maybe they solved the earlier issues. I am very satisfied with the DR-HD100 as a field recorder.

Having said that I will admit that I always, ALWAYS prefer to double record. If it's 720p I will run tape and the HD100. If the client wants 1080i I try to encourage them to budget for an external HD-SDI record along with the HD100. I usually have the analog HD outputs converted to HD-SDI for monitoring so it's easy to add the recorder.

No matter how reliable a piece of technology is, it will eventually fail. Planning on a backup is just due diligence. Clients will balk at paying for backup but they will rip up your rolodex card if the days work is lost.

Lonnie
Lonnie Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
I have been trying to find this out for awhile, and nobody seems to have any answer.
Is the Sony HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT compatible with the JVC HD100.

Sony's site, JVC and B&H show no compatibility lists, it can be seen here on B&H

Sony | HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT | HVR-MRC1K | B&H Photo

Will like to find out ASAP, as I have to replace my Firestore DR-HD100 which has major issues.
You can buy the unit and if it is not working you can return it for a full refund. It will cost you just the cost of shipping, consider it a rental fee.
That's why buying from B&H makes sense, as they want to make sure things are working for you. If you check reviews it worked with Canon XH-A1. It also records m2t files, via 6 pin Firewire 400.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems