Recorded HDV 30p footage on a regular dv tape, help capturing on FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Recorded HDV 30p footage on a regular dv tape, help capturing on FCP

I made the awful mistake of having my camera on hdv mode while i recorded a wedding on a regular dv tape.. (not hdv) and i didn't realize until i put a new tape in. I am able to playback the footage on my camera but when i try to capture using Easy setup>HDV 30p i get a message "you may be trying to play dv footage on an hdv device and does not communicate..
i tried using the Easysetup>dv ntsc, and dv anamorphic.. and no luck.. it communicates but the footage looks like a funky mix up of pixels.. I know it was a mistake in my part but would like to know if anyone has a solution to this problem.

tHanks.
Gibran Jimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Did you adjust the switch over the firewire port from "DV" to "HDV" before you tried to capture?
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Trustee

The problem is not the tape. The signal will record just the same on either a "DV" or an "HDV" tape.

HDV tapes are more robust, have fewer drop outs, etc. etc. etc., depending on who you listen to. But many people use plain DV tape (such as Sony Premium) for all their HDV recording.

So, in your case, there must be something set wrong on the camera or computer. The tape wouldn't be the problem.

You can also set the camera so that the HDV tape plays out over the firewire as DV, and you can then capture it as DV.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Major Player

The problem is in your capture settings. Make sure in the settings you capture via not NTSC Firewire, but through HDV connection. Also make sure on your camera menu to set it for HDV 30p playback. Your firewire port must be set to HDV. Basically your capture settings on the camera and in the program must be the same.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Drew is correct. You need to have the DV/HDV switch in whatever format your tape is to capture via the firewire port. Make sure the camera if off when you flip this switch.

Robert is correct that you need to set your capture preset to HDV, HDV Apple Intermediate Codec or HDV as ProRes 422 codec.

You CANNOT downconvert from HDV to DV via firewire. This is not possible on the JVC cameras or deck. You may be confused with some of the Sony HDV cameras that do have this feature.

If you are using FCP6 then it is a no-brainer to edit HDV footage into a DV sequence. FCP will automatically scale the footage and play without rendering if you have the horsepower.
I actually recommend this workflow to everyone even though your end product may be standard def.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #6
New Boot

When i set up hdv mode for capture and timeline it does not connect to camera.

Drew Cusick- Did you adjust the switch over the firewire port from "DV" to "HDV" before you tried to capture?

- Yes, i did leave the hdv switch on HDV and tried to connect as if it was HDV 30p, and the log and capture on my FCP 6 looked slightly different than the regular DV capture, It didn't connect at all..

HDV tapes are more robust, have fewer drop outs, etc. etc. etc., depending on who you listen to. But many people use plain DV tape (such as Sony Premium) for all their HDV recording.

So, in your case, there must be something set wrong on the camera or computer. The tape wouldn't be the problem.

You can also set the camera so that the HDV tape plays out over the firewire as DV, and you can then capture it as DV.

-- it reminds me that i might have had the "DV firewire option under settings" I will make sure its on hdv firewire... but i had it on EASY set up so that should have automatically changed the firewire to HDV mode. And what are the settings you change to play hdv as dv over camera and capture as DV??... is this while the switch is set on HDV?..

"You can also set the camera so that the HDV tape plays out over the firewire as DV, and you can then capture it as DV. "

-- When i tried this i beleive it gave me the flashing sign of "change IE44-- switch" I'm pretty sure i tried but i'll run it trough again.

"ake sure in the settings you capture via not NTSC Firewire, but through HDV connection. Also make sure on your camera menu to set it for HDV 30p playback. Your firewire port must be set to HDV"

-wouldn't this be done when i set easy set up hdv 30p??? i did note down to make sure on my camera its on pb mode-HDV 30p

"Drew is correct. You need to have the DV/HDV switch in whatever format your tape is to capture via the firewire port. Make sure the camera if off when you flip this switch."
---I never flipped the switch until i tried capturing, thats when things went nuts, Ok so i made the list of the things ill try out.. sucks i have a day job doing something else.

THanks for all the prompt response, you guys are great this is a great forum.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM   #7
New Boot

Happy Ending.

Tried the Easy setup> HDV apple intermediate and it worked like a regular HDV tape!!!

i'm very happy with the results... it worked waaaaaaaay better than the HDV 720 30p.. due to its cutting it between shots.. Overall i am excited to think that i don't have to buy fancy tapes to get stuff done... i bought those at staples.. i beleive they were sony's but 4 for $20.

-couldn't capture as DV... thats what made things funky.. setting the pb output: dv, forces you to change the idee-switch and cannot capture like that.

I am glad i ran into this by accident it gives me confidence, because i'm broke and started to shoot dv instead of HDV which looks like HDV has a really good advantage.. From now on i'm using HDV with regular DV tapes... i cant wait to finish it and put it on DVD..

Thanks for the help guys.. i really don't know why it didn't work first.. but to clear it up on the here are the in camera PB settings

: 720P
PB OUTPUT: HDV
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
You CANNOT downconvert from HDV to DV via firewire. This is not possible on the JVC cameras or deck. You may be confused with some of the Sony HDV cameras that do have this feature.
Sorry, about the mistake. I had just been reading the XH-A1 forum and must have thought I still was.

It is not possible to downconvert out of the JVC camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems