DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   What the heck trying to Capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/140262-what-heck-trying-capture.html)

Jason McCormy December 24th, 2008 05:56 PM

What the heck trying to Capture

Greetings,

I'm trying to capture from a JVC GY -HD200ub with Sony Vegas Pro. I'm using the same computer I've used before. I am always extremely careful to have both devices off when plugging in the fire wire cable, and I also have a converter for the cable to take the power out of it.

When I'm trying to capture now, the camera plays the tape back fine, but the video only shows up very rarely over computer. I see nothing, here sound off and on like it cuts out for five or six seconds every half a second, and occasionally about 15 frames will come through.

What do you think is going on? Is it the computer, or the camera?

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Jason

Jason McCormy December 24th, 2008 06:11 PM

Ok, now I can't capture with final cut pro. It says it is waiting for the incoming data. And, that is not all, when watching on the JVC lcd screen, it seems to show a frame, occasionally a bit of movement, most of the audio, but most of the time it is frozen on specific section of tape, then ever 15 to 30 seconds seems to catch up, then stop again.

What is going on with this?

If anyone can help, thank you very much.

Jason McCormy December 24th, 2008 06:18 PM

Ok, the plot thickens. I'm watching the tape, nothing connected through the firewire port, and it freezes on a frame, the audio sort of continues playing, then it catches up and freezes on another frame 5 to 15 seconds down the tape.

Any ideas?

Jason McCormy December 24th, 2008 07:11 PM

Ok, it appears to be the tape or tape transport. I just put in another tape and recorded five minutes of footage. It looks great and transfers over without a problem.

Hmm. This is the third JVC Pro HD tape that I have used that did this. This is out of 30 brand new ones I bought from BH about 4 months ago, and out of those I've used 12. That is about a 25 percent failure rate. Any advice on what I should do? I have lost some really good footage with this.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season. And thank you for any advice when you all return.

Tim Dashwood December 24th, 2008 08:50 PM

Are the ProHD tapes white or dark gray?

Jason McCormy December 26th, 2008 04:34 PM

They are pretty white looking, does that matter?

Hmm.

Thank you for replying Tim.

Jason McCormy December 29th, 2008 09:32 AM

This is interesting to me, and wonderful if it turns out to be as simple as the tapes. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the white pro tapes and the dark grey pro tapes?

Shaun Roemich December 29th, 2008 09:44 AM

Jason, I don't know anything but Tim and I share at least one supplier. ALL of my tapes since the very first batch have shipped as the white/light grey if that ends up meaning anything.

Jason McCormy December 29th, 2008 09:50 AM

Thank you Shaun. The first batch of tapes I order from Adorama were dark grey pro tapes, almost black, and have not had any problems. The second batch I ordered from B&H and they are all white looking pro tapes and are running about a 33percent failure rate. I'm trying to figure out if it is the tapes.

Jason McCormy December 31st, 2008 02:01 PM

So, anyone know what the difference between the white JVC and Dark Grey JVC pro mini HDV tapes are?

I have ordered the recorder and it should arrive today. I hope this will mark the end of tapes stressing me out so much.

Shaun Roemich December 31st, 2008 02:02 PM

Which recorder, the VTR or a tapeless solution?

Jason McCormy December 31st, 2008 02:07 PM

I just bought the DR-HD100. I'm planning on recording to this AND tape so I have a backup and have a lot less problems. I'm still trying to figure out though if there is something wrong with the tapes (I bought 30) that I have. Thus my wondering what Tim meant about asking me the color of the tapes.

Jason McCormy December 31st, 2008 02:08 PM

Actually, what is VTR?

Shaun Roemich December 31st, 2008 02:15 PM

VTR = Video Tape Recorder

Jason McCormy December 31st, 2008 02:17 PM

Doh, I actually knew that one;)

Sean Adair January 2nd, 2009 03:34 PM

Jason - get a tape head cleaner. I know the camera is new, but possibly something inadvertently got in there and is causing trouble. It's possible you got some bad tapes, but I'd find that a remote possibility.
The DR-HD100 is an awesome tool. Just take the time to learn it well. We shoot hundreds of hours of 2 camera studio shoots onto them backed up with tape. The tape is the only archive kept of raw footage. The drives are used to edit the projects but only the end product is digitally archived. The only issues we've had have been user related. In sync mode it is possible to record only to the tapes if the operator gets so jaded that they ignore the usual signal flow in the viewfinder. It is extra setup, and a bulkier rig which can make it less practical in certain applications, but it transforms the camera.