BNC connector from component cable - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Shaun you are wise beyond your years...As I always say "I would never walk on a deck I built myself, and I would never use cables I soldered with (and burned) my own two hands" I have had a lot of success with a local A/V shop. They can make custom cables in a couple of days, and they always talk me out of trying to do something when I come to them with a new crazy idea!
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Shaun you are wise beyond your years.
Who you calling a wise guy?

I have (literally) 3000+ feet of video cable here in various lengths with BNC ends mounted by me and I would suggest I trust less than 10 of them implicitly. Sooner or later I decided my reputation was worth more than the money I "saved" by making my own. Having said that, I'm looking seriously at getting a compression tool and going to compression fittings instead of crimp on.
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I've heard good things, might get one myself. The last station I worked at we would literally take every cable of the truck, cut the connectors off and replace them after every season. It seemed a bit extreme but we rarely had issues with a bad cable on air. I have several (full) garbage cans of BNC cables of various lengths in my garage, and one day...when I get really bored.. I'm going to cut all of those connectors off a replace them... I've been stalling for some type of Wi-Fi/ IP cabling solution, but as that still seems a bit Jetsons at this point, I'll pull those cables out of the garage one day soon.
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Just an FYI about those Radio Shack adapters; I like Shaun have about 50 of those adapters (But somehow I was one short during my shoot last night!) Anyway, I can tell you after buying these from various sources, skip Radio Shack unless you are in a real pinch. You're better off buying ones from a company like Markertek (or better yet buy their adapter kit) The ones from them are slightly larger and have a more positive grip on the rca plug on your camera, and are less like to slip off...
Thanks for the heads up. Went to Le Shack and they wanted $6.99 for Male BNC to female RCA adapters. Marketek wanted $1.99.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

$1.49 each...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Went to Le Shack and they wanted $6.99 for Male BNC to female RCA adapters. Marketek wanted $1.99.
If you live near a Fry's Electronics you can get them in a 10 pack for $14.99...I go to the Burbank CA store.

FRYS.com*|*Audio Accessories
Jeff Cerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Major Player

Hey, thanks for the heads up. There is a Fry's near where I live.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Be aware that there are good and bad adapters.
I stopped using them and made proper cables instead, as these are giving you the first bad contact during a live-event.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems