BNC connector from component cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Major Player

BNC connector from component cable

I just recieved a 12 foot long component cable to I can begin watching the footage and setting backfocus on a large monitor. However, I did not realize that the JVC GY-HD-200u takes BNC plugs. Does anyone know if this is something I could buy a converter for (the component cable is rca) locally, or do I need to order it?

Thank you very much.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Jason, I use RCA female to BNC adaptors for this purpose. I think I paid about $2 each for them (I own about 50 of them, all from different sources so I'm really not sure HOW MUCH I paid...)
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Doh! Nevermind, I just saw online my local Radio Shack has it.

Thank you again!
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Shaun, at Radio Shack they are 3.99 but will have no shipping and be there immediately.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Radio Shack Adapters

Just an FYI about those Radio Shack adapters; I like Shaun have about 50 of those adapters (But somehow I was one short during my shoot last night!) Anyway, I can tell you after buying these from various sources, skip Radio Shack unless you are in a real pinch. You're better off buying ones from a company like Markertek (or better yet buy their adapter kit) The ones from them are slightly larger and have a more positive grip on the rca plug on your camera, and are less like to slip off...
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Chris. I'm going to pick them up from Radio Shack as a short term solution and order good ones online then.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Jason, use some stretch electrical tape and "permanently" mount them to your component cable. That's what I did, just so I wouldn't show up with only 2 adaptors...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Ha! That is good advice.

"Sorry, I can only film objects today that have no red whatsoever. Green and blue, that is it".

Thank you for the face saving advice.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
"Sorry, I can only film objects today that have no red whatsoever. Green and blue, that is it".
"Introducing the new independent film by Jason McCormy, The Incredible Hulk goes for a Looooong Swim"

I've actually found one of the adaptors to be missing and had to view in SD. That night I taped the adaptors on...
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Ouch. I can see what you mean. I just picked them up from Radio Shack, and they seem to be just a hair too small. Do I stretch them out, or, did I by the wrong size?

Thank you all again for your help.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Inner Circle

There's only one size of BNC and one size of RCA so you've got the right ones. Push, Jason, push...
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Small is good, that means they won't fall out! Usually after a while they get loose and you need to give the outside ring a little squeeze every now and then with a set of pliers. The good ones have little notches in them so even if they start to wear you can give them a little crimp.

The gold plated connectors are a big rip-off in case you didn’t know…Trust me I worked there for a while even corporate admitted they cost the same to make but charged a dollar more, but of course there was a script for explaining to customers that they were in fact better…

Speaking of Radio Shack here’s a hilarious article from the Onion that questions Radio Shack’s existence! Pretty much nails it.

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Oh yeah, Shaun you should try the “brush on” electrical tape for a really permanent connection. LOL
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Oh yeah, Shaun you should try the “brush on” electrical tape for a really permanent connection. LOL
Yeah yeah yeah...

I was just trying to differentiate between the cheap hard plastic tape and the better quality stretchy type that almost works like cling wrap and seems to almost meld into itself when pulled REALLY tight.

The local Radio Shack (now called The Source) was staffed with VERY young folks for a while that caused my brother (an avid electronic meddler) to alter the corporate catch phrase to "You have questions, we have blank stares". He reports they have gotten somewhat better in the past year or so...
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I also know a few guys that love to use heat shrink tubing for something like that too. The thing about "The Shack" is that there really is no training, if you happened to catch the right guy on the right day, you might get some help. My advice to people is to know what you need before you go, or be prepared to go back over and over until they get it right.

Another option for someone who is the adventurous type, and I think I may make a few of these myself, is to cut the BNC off of one end of a cable and crimp a new RCA plug on it, that’s about as solid a connection as you can get, and you may be able to pick all of that up at the shack…Just kow what you need before you go!!!
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen View Post
Another option for someone who is the adventurous type, and I think I may make a few of these myself, is to cut the BNC off of one end of a cable and crimp a new RCA plug on it, that’s about as solid a connection as you can get
Just don't count on the cable to work in a mission critical application (feeding a live switcher or record deck) until you've made several dozen yourself. A stray copper braid can short out your feed causing noise in the signal, the end may pop off at an inopportune time... I know, I've been making my own cables for the past 9 years and even with the right equipment and lots of experience, even I mess up occasionally. All my mission-critical cables I have made for me by a pro that I can blame if anything goes wrong...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems