DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   External Monitoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/140678-external-monitoring.html)

G. Lee Gordon January 1st, 2009 09:16 PM

External Monitoring

If I want to use an external monitor can I get a true hd representation from my HD200?
Can someone please walk me through the steps. Thx.
Note: using the external monitor for the director to get framing only.

Shaun Roemich January 1st, 2009 10:06 PM

To get HD monitoring off the 200, you need to use the 3 component connections (the BNC connectors) and go into the component inputs on an HD monitor.

Ted Ramasola January 1st, 2009 11:16 PM

For general framing only, yeah, you can use any TV monitor with video-in. That's what we do. BUT, take note that there's a small outline around the frame that you can't see. (overscan)

I just use the rca video out and hook up even to a SD monitor, the rca video out on the hd200 is already downsampled.

Steve Oakley January 1st, 2009 11:46 PM

for location work, I've been using a 13" sony CRT. put the 16:9 switch in. that said, I just ordered a LCD screen to replace it. its not that the CRT doesn't look good, it really does. I'm just tired of its 50lbs ( including rolling case ) plus the 35lb junior short roller stand.

otherwise, yes you need to go component to see true HD, but even composite to a decent sized monitor will still be ok.

Jason McCormy January 2nd, 2009 11:20 AM

How about for coloring balancing it, is that what you use for that?

Steve Oakley January 4th, 2009 04:39 PM

I use it for color and framing especially with the underscan on. Fwiw sony crts in under scan seems to chop a couple of lines off the camera. Maybe you lose 1-2%. I also have the camera and Monitor set to zero setup to see into the shadows better. Given that hd has not setup, nor does video to the web, it's agod idea. It alpo just plain looks better.

G. Lee Gordon January 15th, 2009 10:21 PM

Just an update, I broke down and went to Best Buy and found the least expensive hdtv. To sweeten the deal i flipped through the inventory untill I found an open item(yellow tag), then talked the manager into taking another 10% off(I hate paying tax).

Hooked it up for my shoot... Ssssswwweeeet! Just what I wanted.

Alex Humphrey January 20th, 2009 11:02 PM

I broke down and pulled out my Sony 15" HDTV LCD (some weird long model number) and just got a $99 HDTV stand from BH. Works pretty well to check focus/color/exposure on location. Lots of cheap decent HDTV out there now, even Kmart. NO DC though, just AC. But most of the time I'm near AC even on location.

Shaun Roemich January 21st, 2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey (Post 998288)
NO DC though, just AC. But most of the time I'm near AC even on location.

I picked up a car charger/booster/AC power unit from Canadian Tire that I use when I'm in the field (ie. outdoors) and away from AC. Works well.

G. Lee Gordon January 21st, 2009 03:02 PM

What's the model number and URL so I can pick one up?

Shaun Roemich January 21st, 2009 03:42 PM

This is what I bought:
Canadian Tire

Realize of course that I'm in Canada so I don't know what to suggest for my 'merican friends.