DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC GY-HD250 & DR-HD100 Quicktime Playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/140936-jvc-gy-hd250-dr-hd100-quicktime-playback.html)

Jeff Paduchowski January 5th, 2009 03:45 PM

JVC GY-HD250 & DR-HD100 Quicktime Playback

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a JVC GY-HD250U and a (FE) Focus Enhancements DR-HD100. For some reason when attempting to playback the Quicktime files all I get is a black screen and a pop-up sending me to:

According to FE and Apple these files should playback with the newest version of Quicktime, which is 7. After reading some other postings I tried recording to the only other available format M2T. Changed the file extension to .mpeg and I got a successful playback.

This however is not ideal. What am I missing to playback the Quicktime files?
I am pretty much 100% certain it's not a setting on the JVC or the FE DTE.

Thanks for your help!
Have a great new year!

Boston_Jeff

Todd Norris January 6th, 2009 11:35 AM

Actually, the most recent version of Quicktime is 7.5.5. There are earlier versions of Quicktime 7 that do not play JVC's flavor of HDV, especially if you shot in 60p. Make sure you have Quicktime 7.5.5 and that should solve the problem.
I have a JVC HD250 and a DR-HD100. I record Quicktimes and the workflow is flawless (unless the drive overheats in the hot sun or freezes in the Kansas City cold :-))

Todd Norris

Jeff Paduchowski January 6th, 2009 05:30 PM

Still getting an error, bad HD?

Yep, I have the latest version; 7.5.5

I have tried to play on a PC & Mac, same error: says I'm missing something, then sends me to this page:

Apple - QuickTime - QuickTime Components

The Mac even had the PRO version of Quicktime.
Do you think the DTE could be bad?

Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help!

Todd Norris January 6th, 2009 06:00 PM

I'm a Mac person, so I won't be able to help regarding anything to do with a PC. But could you give me some more information that might help solve the problem? For instance, what format were you shooting on the JVC? HDV or DV? 24p, 30p or 60p? These can make a difference. How big is the file size of the Quicktimes your're trying to play i.e. they're not like 8k or something that would indicate there's no real media recorded? Did the Viewfinder say "Trigger to DV" when you hit the record button? What model Macintosh were you playing your files on? Just trying to whittle down where the problem lies.

Todd Norris

Jeff Paduchowski January 6th, 2009 07:49 PM

Hey Todd,

I have tried in both DV & HDV, every frame rate. I'm sure you're not questioning my technical ability, but I would consider myself an 'advanced user.' I'm not 100% on the technical specs of the Mac I tested on, but it's a less than a year old MacBookPRO.

The file sizes seem to be correct, they look pretty accurate when it comes to record times.
Yep, it says trigger to too.

I have been on the phone with Focus Enhancements, JVC, & some guys from B&H, no luck. I'm going on my 3rd week of messing with it, unfortunately I don't know of anyone in my area with a JVC GY-HD250, otherwise I'd try the DTE on another camera.

At this point I'm requesting an RMA from FE, it's really the strangest thing I've run into in awhile. I have used other FE DTEs on other cameras, never have I run into anything like this :(

lol anyone in the Boston area have a JVC GY-HD250 I could throw my DTE on for a minute? doubtful.

Thanks for your input Todd!
Best of luck!

Daniel Weber January 7th, 2009 08:49 AM

You need to have Final Cut Pro installed on your Mac to play the Quicktime files.

Todd Norris January 7th, 2009 09:56 AM

Hmmm. Yes, my guess is something is wrong with how the Focus Enhancements is encoding the quicktime (i.e. incorrectly), since you said you had success recording m2t. A problem I ran into when first recording DV is that if I wanted to record in 24p, there's actually a "Quicktime 24p" setting on the Focus Enhancements, separate from the "Quicktime" setting. Not checking this would give me the error you seem to be getting. However, this shouldn't affect your HDV recordings. So, it must be something different than what I experienced. My guess is you need a replacement, which is probably your guess also.

Good luck!

Jeff Paduchowski January 7th, 2009 10:11 AM

The Mac had the latest version of FCP installed. It did not play the captured Quicktime files either.

However, after recording in M2T, then using MPEG_StreamClip (Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows) to convert to Quicktime, I did get the files to play in FCP.

This is still not ideal.

Marc Colemont January 7th, 2009 02:47 PM

If I remember right I had to install FCP first before updating the Quicktime version. This way the quicktime saw the FCP components.
Does your quicktime player plays ProRes files?

Drew Cusick January 13th, 2009 12:00 AM

I just got the mr hd100 and tried recording to quicktime files and I also got the black screens and the message forwarding me to the quicktime site.

I do not have Final Cut Pro and am about to purchase the Mpeg2 playback add-on for quicktime - which I hope solves the problem - because I dont want to have to transcode to something else before I import into my NLE.

Should the Mpeg2 add-on allow me to simply drag and drop my Quicktime HDV files into PP CS3 without going through MpegStreamClip?

Alex Humphrey January 13th, 2009 12:52 AM

you need final cut pro (studio 1 or later) to work. It's really not quicktime that's the issue. installing FCP Studio 1 or 2 adds something that enables quicktime to play the clips. weird I know, but there it is. So What frame rate and codex are you using? Or is it late and you posted it at the top already. 24p/30p work fine on mine. Don't have an HD200 to test the 60p. Were you in 60p?

Daniel Weber January 13th, 2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Paduchowski (Post 990508)
The Mac had the latest version of FCP installed. It did not play the captured Quicktime files either.

However, after recording in M2T, then using MPEG_StreamClip (Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows) to convert to Quicktime, I did get the files to play in FCP.

This is still not ideal.

Use Clipwrap software to convert your .m2t files. See the JVC ProHD forum for a link and conversation regarding this $50 tool which works very well.

Daniel Weber

Jeff Paduchowski January 13th, 2009 09:38 AM

Huh? Tap your head twice and rub your belly?

Here's the issue!

Quicktime does not playback, it's that simple. Focus Enhancements, who I have been on the phone with on a daily basis, says that you DO NOT NEED any additional components to playback Quicktime files, on the DR-HD100.

So either their lying, which happens all the time, or their probably trying to figure it out themselves. They have told ME that they have tested the DR-HD100 with a JVC GY-HD250, while recording at 720/60p and it played back without any additional codec, FCP, or anything else.

Nowhere, on any support page does it state you need additional components to playback the Quicktime files.

Furthermore, after paying for a 1500.00, 100gig device that is supposed to make my life easier, why should I have to convert files? What's the friggen point then? It's supposed to quick and simple.

BTW Drew, That codec that Quicktime say's your missing, and then sends you to some website, it doesn't work. If you call apple store support you can get your 20 bucks back.

I haven't found any help with this on here either, just a much of silly ideas.
Good luck.

Drew Cusick January 13th, 2009 12:39 PM

Just got an email from Focus Enhancements.

"Final Cut Pro is the only NLE that supports Quicktime. Here is a chart to reference: http://focusinfo.com/dynassets/docum...mp_23Nov08.pdf

Thank you."

And for me, Clipwrap has not been an option since I was editing in Premiere Pro CS3 and it too requires FCP. I will now be switching to FCP to hopefully resolve any issue (which is good because I hate CS3).

Todd Norris January 13th, 2009 12:53 PM

If your problem was only with HDV 60p Quicktimes, then it could point to a missing codec in Quicktime. However, you said you could not play DV Quicktimes off the Focus Enhancements drive either, correct? Those are plain old DV files that can play on any version of Quicktime, regardless of having FCP installed or not. That's why I believe it's a problem with the drive. If you can't play DV Quicktimes, whether 24p or 60i, then it's not just a missing codec problem.