Spec's & codec's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Spec's & codec's

I am starting a project which will be a "demo reel". It will most likely end up on Vimeo and DVD copies. My question is what setting should I use when I open the project in Final Cut Pro. Should I use HVD1080i 60i, DVCPRO1080i 60i, HVD720 24p, DVCPRO720 24p? PLease explain why you chose the way you did.
I am using a JVC GYHD200 and firestore to capture the footage. Using Final Cut Studio 2 for editing.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Major Player

depends on what format did you shoot the footage: was it 720/30p or 720/24p? Since you were using hd200 with firestore the question is what settings did you have on your firestore? did you shoot as .m2t or quicktime? if .m2t get yourself clipwrap app and use it to re-wrap the footage into quicktime. FCP will automatically recognize the format and adjust the settings what you drop your first clip onto the time line. in your FCP settings use ProRes for rendering to avoid quality loss.
Here is a link to more detailed discussion. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/non-linea...dv-prores.html
a simple search will reveal more discussions here as well.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I haven't shot the footage yet. I'm trying to get input on which is the best setting for the footage I'm going to shoot. I want the footage to be high definition, not 4:3. For HD web presentation via Vimeo/You Tube, what is the best route to go, 60i or 24p? HD or DVCPRO?

Last edited by G. Lee Gordon; January 25th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Major Player

let me get it straight- you mentioned GY-HD 200 as your camera- right? If you are using this camera you will shoot in HDV 720/30 and as far as I remember it also shoots 720/60p. Don't bother with 24p for internet distribution. Your DR100 will have most likely m2t or quicktime option- use the first one. Quicktime produces a hiss in the sound and makes your sound pretty much worthless. Use "Clipwrap" http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...available.html and just re-wrap your m2t into quicktime and then import your footage into your FCP.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Robert. I thought the hd200 shoots in 1080/60i?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems