Panasonic HMC 150 Or JVC GY Hd 110u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic HMC 150 Or JVC GY Hd 110u

Hello I was just wondering the following.
I have been working in the production business for over 13 years.
Everyone I talk to tells me to get the JVC GY HD 110 or HD200.
I have tried the camera out and do like it very much, however I also tried
out the HMC 150 and fell in love with it. My question to all of you is as follows.
If you could have any of these two cameras which would it be?
I am new to the whole HD field coming from the DV and Film formats.
Any input would be great and would help.
I am also looking at the aspect of editing and HDV is more simple than AVCHD.

Thanks
Tim
Tim McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd get the new JVC GY-HM700 instead. Tim Dashwood wrote a good preliminary review here.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi.
I would say that the new HM700 seems to be a very interesting camera indeed. However you can now get a very good bargain on a very good camera if you decide on the HD110. In Europe the prices are very low at the moment because JVC wants to sell whatever they have left. I recently spoke to the JVC rep here in Norway and there is only one HD110 left in Europe now and a few HD111s ( not including whatever the resellers have in stock ) Once they are gone, they are gone. They are not producing more of them, not for the European market anyway.

I just purchased a HD111 and waiting for a HD110. For the price it is unbeatable and something I have been waiting for for a long time. I don`t have to have the latest camera all the time.

I used to own a Panasonic HVX200 and DVX100 and were very pleased with them both. Except the very, to me, expensive P2 technology.

When I looked to purchase cameras now I looked at the total package and decided on the JVC for several reasons.

- recording to tape, for easy archiving and ease of mind.
- interchangeable lenses, a lot more freedom later on.
- form factor, sits comfortably on the shoulder.
- BR-HD50 recorder, long record times, archiving, easy transfer to NLE and back.
- affordable technology with excellent pictures
- price
- records to hard drive as well, means you can go file based later on

I don`t know to much about the Panasonic but as I understand it the AVCHD technology is not as compatible with all NLE`s yet. I could be wrong though. I just couldn`t see me buying a lot of cards and ending up with a lot of DVDs for backup. To me it just felt like a mess. I know quite a lot of people who have jumped on the file based train because it seemed like a good idea, but not knowing or realizing how to backup the files easily.

I don`t know if price is a factor to you but bying a HM700 is more expensive than the ones you are looking at. And in the end, to me, if my client is happy, I am happy.

You will not be disappointed choosing a JVC.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems