JVC HD110U Dead Pixel on the Screen help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC HD110U Dead Pixel on the Screen help

I find out that in my camera screen i have death pixel so as Tim said in his dvd i when in to Advanced Menu Camera 1 and down on Pixel Compen but the Right Arrow > WILL NOT STOP ON PIXEL COMPEN and there is a line like this ---------

Can anyone tell me what should i do thanks you so much for your help
Tamim Amini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The camera needs to be operating in 24P mode in order to get Pixel Compensation as a menu item. This makes the necessary masking and then your camera can be returned to whatever mode you normally shoot in.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Shaun Roemich

Shaun Roemich i just got it Thank you so much you safe me bro you this we site and you guys are awesome i don't know what i would do with your help man thanks alot .Tamim
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

That's my fault for neglecting that little tidbit of info on the DVD. My cameras never leave 24P mode so it didn't even cross my mind!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I asked Tim the same question about 6 - 9 months ago so it's an honest "mistake". And you're welcome.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Tim

I should said still thanks your training dvd help me alot i did not know my camera has death pixel or how to run pixel compen this is for jvc owner who don't know alot they must buy this dvd i wish you make this dvd long time ago TAMIM.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM   #7
New Boot

Hopefully they fixed this in the JVCHM700
Carlos Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Major Player

dead pixel? All camcorders have them. It's just that most cameras are not full res, so with all the scaling and pixel shifting the dead pixel is automatically removed. But that's why the HD100/200 series has a sharper image than most other cameras $12,000 and below. I've seen dead pixels on $60,000 Sony Cinealtas all the time, and fairly often on broadcast HD networks. Just have to go into a menu and mask it. Most of the dead pixels are caused by x-rays/cosmic rays etc from space. Higher elevation, get more of them. Fly in airplanes at the north pole? You will get tons of them in any brand of camera. But you won't see them in garden variety of sony/canon/panasonics because of all the scaling and blurring and uprezzing that goes on.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #9
New Boot

Nice one Alex, as always, I enjoy your direct and simple factual approach to dispelling unwarrented or inaccurate critisism or observation. More power to your elbow sir!
Jon Enkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Jon: thanks. I worry that some times I spout off after too much or too little coffee and someone might take offense. Truly I don't mean to, so if I offended anyone in the past or the future, my sincerest apologies.

One thing related to the dead pixel is IT SHOULD BE LISTED CLEARLY IN THE MANUAL AS TO HOW TO MASK IT! Also you should perform this operation when the camera is heated up, preferably on a hot day. The CCD's are more sensitive at warmer temps it seems. (the dead pixels I mean. I know CCD's themselves are more sensitive to light when they are cold. Telescope CCD's for instance can be nearly frozen with freon and other refrigerants to increase the sensitivity without bumping up the gain. Same way that you would freeze your film (hyping) for the same effect.) But I'm off subject again.

JVC, Think flow charts for users of different backgrounds. There are tons of 16mm and 35mm users who have made the switch to digital and are a little out of their element. There are also 60i NTSC usuers who have moved up and again, are not up to speed on a lot of the capabilities of the 24p system or the the benefits/hazards of 30p etc. Why such a divergent public? 1st inexpensive camera system that a wider variety of artists , hobbyists and commercial users have moved to. So we don't all have the same user history of say a group of Sony DV-CAM users moving to the new Sony DV-CAM model number.

So a flow chart of why and how you would use and operate the camera as well as having user functions (hidden menu and pixel masking) should be more readily evident in the manual or an online pdf "things you need to know for your camera"

oh well, maybe on my day off if I had tooo much coffee, I'll try to start one.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Nikon to jvc Adapter back focus ? help Thanks

I am using Nikon 16 mm 1:2.8D AF fisheye Nikkor lens. How do I backfocus, and do I need to backfocus? The video is much sharper than the camera lens.

And what setting should I use in the camera when I shot wildlife on day time?

I know my lens is not a wildlife lens (I will get one).

What lens should I get for shooting wildlife with HD110? Any info greatly appreciated .

Tamim
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Pixel masking in PAL

Hi all,

I have the GY -HD111 (the Pal version). This does not appear to have an option of HDV24P in the Video Format/Rec sub-menu. It only has HDV-HD25P and HDV-SD50P. In neither of these (or in the SD rec modes,) is the pixel comp option enabled.

I go to advanced menu (Focus assist and menu for + 5secs), Pixel Comp, and the same line Tamin describes earlier ------ appears in every Vid format option.

Is this a quirk of the PAL version, or is there any other way in to the Pixel Mask facility on this camera?

Best wishes

Rob Adams
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Duhhh...

Yeah, sorry guys, I'm being thick. Found 24P. entered advanced menu. fixed pixels. no problem any more.

All the best

Rob
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

"maybe on my day off if I had tooo much coffee, I'll try to start one."

This is a great idea!
I suggest we all send Alex some really juicy java beans to get him started!
;>)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems