DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Mounting the JVC MR-HD100 on a GY-HD110 with AB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/145335-mounting-jvc-mr-hd100-gy-hd110-ab.html)

Terry VerHaar March 7th, 2009 07:43 PM

Mounting the JVC MR-HD100 on a GY-HD110 with AB?

Has anyone mounted the Focus/JVC MR-HD100 disk recorder on their HD110 equipped with an Anton-Bauer Goldmount? I can't seem to get a straight answer (or in certain cases, any answer) from Focus or Anton-Bauer. Haven't waded in with JVC yet.

The answer from AB was to purchase an bracket called the ABWMK-HD-100, which I did - it attaches nicely to the Goldmount. The MR-HD100 comes with a cradle, which I have, but as far as I can see, none of the mounting holes on the cradle even come close to matching the ones on the AB bracket.

I am hoping to find someone who has actually done this who can tell me what I am not seeing or what part I don't have.

Thanks a bunch.

TVH

Eric Darling March 7th, 2009 09:02 PM

Typically, I mount the recorder on the hot shoe using a cheap hot shoe mount with the common thread that fits the bracket that ships with the Firestore. It's high to view when you're on a tripod, but it's inexpensive and secure. When I'm using the camera in a studio config mode, I gaffer tape it to a tripod leg.

Brian Chow March 7th, 2009 11:09 PM

I've put velcro on the back and sides of all 5 dionics that I have. The hard drive sticks on the back and I mount to wireless receivers on the sides of them. I also have a coupler and use the power tap to deliver power to the drive and to a frezzi micro fill. Used this system for 3 years on all our hd100's and hd200's. Velcro is the BEST!

Drew Cusick March 7th, 2009 11:31 PM

I too am using velcro on the back of my batteries. Seems to be holding strong so far, but I still get nervous about it at times.

Brian Chow March 8th, 2009 12:58 AM

We produce an automotive show and knock on wood but for the last six seasons, we've mounted the camera outside, held it out of windows, you name it and you'd be amazed how well even a small piece of velcro holds. Never had either mic packs or hard drives slip off.BTW, we shoot pretty well every day so add up all those hours with no problems. We usually but the industrial strength velcro from Home Depot.

Alex Pitstra March 8th, 2009 08:54 AM

I use a manfrotto 814 mini-hydrostatic arm to attach the DR-HD100 (in cradle) to the screw-hole on top of the camera handle. The mini-arm enables me to put the drive in different positions (on side, on top). By attaching it to the side of the handle, the cam-configuration stays compact.

With the drive on the back of the battery, the unit becomes even more like a rocket launcher.

Bill Ravens March 8th, 2009 09:30 AM

I drilled a larger hole in the AB mount bracket that allows the FS4 cradle to screw onto that bracket.

Drew Cusick March 8th, 2009 05:04 PM

Are you guys who are using velcro putting the velcro directly onto the drive? Or onto a cage which the drive slides into?

Terry VerHaar March 8th, 2009 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I may have to resort to Velcro as well. I was given the impression that there was actually a bracket that would mount the unit securely behind the battery for an ENG type use. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has worked with this exact configuration.

And just to note - I think the DR-HD100 mount/configuration is significantly different than the MR-HD100 which is the newer model and, unlike the FS-4/5, specifically configured for the JVC cameras.

Again, thanks.

TVH

Drew Cusick March 8th, 2009 06:58 PM

It's definitely mountable somehow. I dont have the bracket so I can say precisely how. But here is a photo that shows it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...rhd100wifi.jpg

Bill Ravens March 8th, 2009 07:00 PM

That's exactly how my installation mounts, using this hardware:
Anton Bauer | ABWM-KIT Universal Wireless Mounting | ABWMKIT

Terry VerHaar March 8th, 2009 07:00 PM

Drew - Thanks for posting that. It's an interesting picture because it shows the unit mounted without the cradle.

TVH

Terry VerHaar March 8th, 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1024558)
That's exactly how my installation mounts, using this hardware:
Anton Bauer | ABWM-KIT Universal Wireless Mounting | ABWMKIT

Bill - Now we are getting somewhere. Do you mount yours without the included cradle then? And how does it attach to the plate behind it?

Bill Ravens March 8th, 2009 07:25 PM

I mount my FS4 in the cradle. It's not an FS5. The bracket mates to screwholes on the side of the JVC battery mount.

Drew Cusick March 8th, 2009 07:28 PM

The MR HD100 does have two screw holes on the top back...perhaps these can be used to mount it directly to the bracket?