Nikon to jvc Adapter back focus ? Help Thanks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon to jvc Adapter back focus ? Help Thanks

i am using nikon 16 mm 1:2.8D
AF fisheye NIKKOR LENS
HOW DO I DO BACK FOCUS DO I NEED BACK FOCUS ?

THE VIDEO IS MUCH Sharper THEN THE CAMERA LENS .
AND WHAT Setting shuld i use in the camera when i shot wildlife on day time ?
i know my lens is not a wildlife lens i will get one.
and what lens should i get for shoting wildlife with jvc hd 110 any info greatly appreciate .Tamim

am8tam@yahoo.com
Tamim Amini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #2

There is NO back focus adjustment on the MTF adapters. Since Mike Tapa determined the dimension with an auto-collimator, one has to assume he got close enough with the proper dimension.

As far as a proper wildlife lens, I have both a Nikon 50-200 telephoto zoom and a Nikon 300mm tele. The Zoom lens is quite adequate for large objects at distance. The 300mm is more appropriate for bird sized objects, however, the 300mm is very difficult to keep from shaking, even when used on a tripod.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Bill for your help -- what about 100-300 Sigma?
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamim Amini View Post
thanks Bill for your help -- what about 100-300 Sigma?
Well unless Sigma is a lot better than they used to be, I wouldn't spend money for one. There is a lot of good used manual focus Nikon lenses out there. Sigma was always a JCPenny level of lens, though I understand they improved with new sub contractors etc, so my info may be old. If you can get a used sigma for cheap or have one knocking around fine. I wouldnt pay good money for a new one though, not when there is good used Nikon glass out there for the same or less money.

In college (15 years ago) I tried various Sigma lenses on my 35mm Nikon body, and I couldn't really enlarge them past 11x14 let alone 16x20 (my standard print size). Even my Nikon E's (AIS) walked all over the lenses. So I stuck with Nikon. Sigma's topped out around 11x14 or really even 8x10. That being said, I've read (with some skepticism) of some great reviews of the Sigma lenses in the last couple years. So my info may be really dated, but then again if you are looking at older lenses from 15 years ago, I wouldn't give you $20 for it.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex you have been very help so now what kind of nikon or what size what of nikon should i get any info thanks. Tamim
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Well first get a used manual Nikon AIS or newer lens. Reason, cheap and good. A lot of people are dumping nice 35mm glass for the new DX autofocus glass for the new digital cameras, so there are some killer deals. Basically any nikon glass will do as long as it has a user aperture. The new AF DX lenses do not, they are controlled by the camera. So Autofocus or Manual, though you will have the better deals on the manual and it is nicer to work with and better built, but generally a little heavier.

lengths. I assume you are going to do nature or sports or something long distance? Most people are useing the 80-200 range, but at that length you need rods to support the lens since it's so heavy. I need to get around to ordering my MTF myself. I think they just got some in (Europe) for shpping to the US or are about to. I would also seriously consider looking at fixed focal length lenses. Since you are already going to have a giant rig, the swapping lenses in the field is the least of your worries. Advantage for a fixed focal length is even in Nikon's the fixed lengths are better glass. Just physics. Less compromises in image quality to be able to zoom. Also no possibility of ever needing to backfocus. Will we see it in a 720p or even 1080p? I dunno.. Eric who used to be posting a lot here has the 200 with the MTF and Nikon 80-200 AF, but I think he has sold his gear and is doing a another format.

I have a few fixed focal lengths lenses some are "E" series, and they are sharp. In the old days there used to be "E" lenses that were good, but lacking some of the more expensive coatings that the Nikor level had. Today I think Nikon labeles every lens as a Nikor. But a fixed 300mm 4.5 or 2.8 would be pretty killer. $300 range to $1,000. I picked up a 100mm "E" used for around 80. So that will be pretty close to our 16x and 17x max telephoto but worlds better.... doesn't zoom of course... but oh well.. depends upon your subject matter.

A friend's husband apparently just sold 5 Nikon lenses for $350. Probably $4,000 in lenses when they were new. I felt sick I didn't know about it until afterwards.

so... before my coffee wears out...

Most usefull
Nikon Manual/AF zoom 80-200 + rod support

Less usefull, but generally better image quality and cheaper.
Nikon Manaul/AF 100mm or 80mm or 135mm ... CHEAP! NO rod support needed!
Nikon Manual/AF 300mm 2.8 or 4.5 Rod support definatly needed, Expensive/sort of cheap

ridiculous? just for fun?
Reflex lens 500mm ??? that would be sick... could probably get decent video of Mars if our CCD's where light sensitive enough.

I will try when I get the MTF adapter.

28mm/ 50mm/ 80mm/ 17mm. cheap, excellent glass, might be really interesting to see if used $50 lenses competes in quality to the $10,000 Fujinon zoom lens.

ok, work is waiting.. hope that gives you a head start.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Major Player

follow up thought, if you get a zoom, try to get one that is good enough that it is a constant aperture. NOT a 2.8f-5.6f lens Just a 4.5f or 2.8f all the way through the zoom.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems