Audio dropping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio dropping

I am using the JVC HD100 and I just started using a second microphone and have had the audio dropping out randomly. It has a very electronic, static sound and is intermediate. It happened the first time I used the mic and I thought it might be the audio cord I was using so I went and got a new one. The very next time I filmed everything came out fine. Then I had a shoot on Saturday and I transfered the footage and there it is again. I just can not figure it out. Please help. I have another shoot on the 16th and I would like to have this figured out by then.
One more thing, I need to find the closest place to me, in Colorado Springs who can take my JVC to for a check-up?
I have been searching previous posts trying to find answers.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
New Boot

I have exactly the same problem with my hd200 and audio ch1. I called the service for possible over the phone trouble shooting or advice. They said that it is probably the on camera xlr connector that has to be changed. A day's job and a very cheap part. They said that it maybe the circuit, which would cost more in time and money. I am getting my camera there tomorrow so I'll keep you posted.
Nikko Patrelakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nikko, I will keep my fingers crossed that it is the easier, less expensive fix. I am calling JVC in California tomorrow to find out who I can take my camera to here in Colorado.Yes please keep me updated.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Major Player

had this once

when I dropped the end of a xlr in the dirt, long shot, but make sure you haven't got dirt etc in your jacks, it makes things nice and scratchy :-)

regards

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

When you fit the XLR plug into the the socket, hold the thumb latch of the plug in and slip the plug back and forth on the pins a few times to shift any dust or resistive buildup on the pins, haul it off, give the plug and the socket a quick blow then plug it in again. Channel 2 typically does not get a lot of use so scunge will build up on the connecting surfaces.

If you have some canned electrical spray, use the little straw which comes with the can. Shove the little straw right inside each pin hole of the plug and give it a quick shot to flush out any debris then dry it out with a camera air jet or by blowing it out by the puckered lips method. Keep you eyes shut as the stuff will irritate if it gets in you eyes. Then use a cotton tip to dry out the holes. You may be quite amazed just how dirty they become.

If this does not work, cycle the Channel One <-> Channel Two sliding switch and the Line-Mic-48v sliding switches a few times with the camera powered off. These little switches may get a bit gritty sometimes if the camera has been dusted and will also become resistive if they are not slid fully home in one direction or the other.

The build quality of sliding switches is fairly good these days but there was a time when they were dogs of the cheapest and nastiest kind.

The little sliding finger piece should be reasonably firm although it is okay if it rocks a little bit. If it is quite sloppy it may need attention and will certainly cause intermittant noise in that state.

They are in a fairly sheltered place but one small hit on the end of the switch which drives inwards is enough to make them faulty. If they are not sloppy and have not been soaked by rain, they should be okay.

If you get a noisy one and you are miles away from a repair shop you can sometimes bring them back temporarily by giving them a shot of electrical spray through the small hole the toggle pokes out through. The can should have a thin "straw" to direct the liquid. You have to pretty much drown the switch and clean liquid off any plastic pretty soon afterwards. The stuff is fairly benign but will attract dust if you leave it there.

While the switch remains drowned, point the camera level for the Line-Mic-48v switches or directly down to the ground for the Channel 1<->Channel 2 switch. Cycle the switch several times with the camera powered off.

This may then dislodge any grit which might be rolling between the conductive surfaces and it will float off down to a hiding place in the switch body.

A very loose damaged switch if not linked by wires, may also have transferred its damage to the circuit board where the pins are soldered in and there may be a dry or open joint there. In that case, the spray will not help and might aggravate the problem if the liquid runs out through the switch body into the break in the circuit on the board.

A quick and dirty field test for board damage may be to grab the little switch handle with a pair of tweezers and apply pressure by drawing the handle outwards. If the audio is restored or a crackle goes away, then the board might have damage. The switch itself however may be resistive and causing the fault so you wont know for sure.

There is not much to be done with it in that state except maybe having some poor fool stand there holding the pair of tweezers to maintain the connection under threat of dismemberment if he moves.

A good little best practice when setting up is to, put on the headphones, agitate the little switches up and down with a tiny bit of finger pressure to test it without cycling them.

Then agitate the mike plugs to provoke any noise, then tie off the cables to the camera body somewhere to isolate any movement of the cables from the plugs themselves while you are under way.

Where do these ideas come from?? You have to live the blues to know the blues as they say. Enjoy the camera. Except for the firewire port issue it is a goodie and a favourite.

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 8th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I will work on cleaning it up tonight and tomorrow and then do some test recording and see what happens. I really thank you all so much and I will post the results.
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #7
New Boot

Hey Suzanne, have you resolved the prob? I only had to have the faulty xlr input changed, no big deal. Hope your problem wasn't serious as well.
Nikko Patrelakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nikko, I am still working on mine. I can not find anyone to even take a look at my camera. I am in Colorado and I was told the closest place was in California. I am going to take it to someone who works on Sony cameras and at least discuss this option with him. He is the only person who would come close to being qualified here in town. I am glad yours was an easy fix.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

O.K. I just did a little test and I am confused. I set the channel on 1 and did some recording with the mic that came with the 100 and I am having no cliches or noise. So it must have something to do with channel two. Any thoughts....
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems