DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 blown firewire port (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/181098-hd100-blown-firewire-port.html)

Bill Parker April 10th, 2009 07:05 AM

HD100 blown firewire port

I just sent off my HD100(A) to JVC in Georgia because of a blown firewire port and was told the repair would cost $1886.93. That's more than half the value of the camera. I'm planning on selling the camera and I need advice. It has a 17x lens (a superior lens to the stock lens) and I'm wondering if I should sell the lens separately. I have no idea how much value the camera has, given the expense of fixing the blown firewire port. I can't afford to gamble paying for the repair and then sell the camera for not much more than the repair cost. Do you think there's a market for a camera with a blown port? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert Rogoz April 10th, 2009 01:19 PM

At this moment $1700 is about how much a used camera is worth, with stock 16x lens. I doubt you'll get over 2K for 100 model. So the option would be just to get another camera (used) with working FW port, instead of fixing the board.

Bill Parker April 10th, 2009 02:30 PM

When I told JVC to send back the camera, I got another estimate from them that was suddenly $1100 (which makes me wonder about the original estimate - the part was listed at $1500!). Still too much to make any sense. I guess I'll just see how much I can get with the blown port. If the offers are too low, I'll just keep it as a second camera.

Jack Walker April 10th, 2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker (Post 1076193)
When I told JVC to send back the camera, I got another estimate from them that was suddenly $1100.....

So they dropped it $600.

It is sad to see a reputable company doing business this way.

Did they offer you a special deal on a clear-coat protective spray? Maybe just an additional thousand dollars?

Perhaps the firewire "situation" on this camera was part of the revenue generation plan on this release.

Randy Johnson April 10th, 2009 05:27 PM

I have 2 cameras both had blown ports. I got one fixed it cost about $1,300 with the changing times in video I cant justify fixing the other one. You may want to try this place.
Our Services
I know it sounds too good to be true but they said they could do it for a $400.

Randy

Mark Silva April 10th, 2009 05:44 PM

yeah the part itself is somewhere around 300-400 in cost.

its the labor you get gouged on.

Robert Rogoz April 10th, 2009 10:59 PM

Get an estimate from RBE video (About Us). maybe not the cheapest, but at least honest. I think you would be better off leaving the camera and not repairing it.

Bill Parker April 11th, 2009 05:54 AM

The quote I got (originally) was $1500 for the part and $250 for the labor.

Robert Rogoz April 11th, 2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker (Post 1078712)
The quote I got (originally) was $1500 for the part and $250 for the labor.

This is a bunch of bs. Sorry, but how is it possible that a new camera with all the circuit boards, CCD chips and a micro processor and a lens costs $4500 new, and one peripheral board costs 1500!
A few months ago I had a displeasure of dealing with customer support from JVC, and it left with with long lasting bad taste. On the other hand Sony was just the opposite. JVC- are you listening?

Bill Parker April 11th, 2009 05:13 PM

I hear you. I was trying to be diplomatic about it, but I'm not sure why!

Chris Davis April 12th, 2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker (Post 1074660)
Do you think there's a market for a camera with a blown port? Any ideas?

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a used HD100/110/200, swap lenses, then sell the HD100 with the stock 16x lens.

Yes, there is a market, but you're not going to get much. I have a working HD100 and would probably buy another HD100 with a blown port to use as a b-cam if the price was right.

Ian Skurrie April 29th, 2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1080694)
This is a bunch of bs. Sorry, but how is it possible that a new camera with all the circuit boards, CCD chips and a micro processor and a lens costs $4500 new, and one peripheral board costs 1500!

Speaking from experience, the board that has to replaced is the main board for the camera and the whole camera has to be dissasembled to get at it. Still I do agree that the board is way overpriced. Especially since the port could be protected by an internal fuse.

regards
Ian Skurrie

Brian Standing April 29th, 2009 08:39 PM

I'd definitely get a second estimate. See this post for my experience with this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hd...tml#post925220

I took my camera to Full Compass in Middleton, WI. Good guys, very straight with me, did fine work and fast return. I haven't had any problems with it since.

Bill Parker April 30th, 2009 04:55 AM

I had them send my camera back to me without fixing it. If I spent over $1100 fixing the port, I may wind up getting not much more than that when I resell it. I'll just use the camera as a second camera. It still is a very good camera, and I can just use tapes with my deck. It's just a pity that there is no way to get a decent price for it - without that port being fixed, it has no resale value.

Tup Wright May 1st, 2009 02:56 PM

I think JVC should fix this for free. This is a design flaw that affects all the camcorders with the 6-pin firewire. They should fix it for free and remove the two pins on the port that send/recieve power. I hope to get 5 years out of my camera, I'm two years out of warranty now and I so I bought a $25 port isolator and a separate HDV deck.