Cheapest battery replacement solution for HD110U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheapest battery replacement solution for HD110U?

I just got my HD110U and as expected the stock battery is a weak one. I have done searches and it seems some of the alternate solutions can be pretty expensive. Like the Anton Bauer add ons. I found this battery at Dionic 90 - Anton Bauer Dionic 90 Battery by AtBatt.com Does anyone have any experience with this battery and company? I am shooting a documentary in a couple of months and need to find the cheapest bang for my buck to power the HD110U for field use. Has anyone come up with a good solution, even a DIY solution? In the past I have made my own battery packs and belts for DV cameras. Thanks!
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dionic battery

I own all AB batteries. The Dionic 90 is the best. I mostly shoot weddings and using the Dionic 90 with a frezzi light will last about 1/2 to 3/4 of the affair. I have a few other AB Hytron batteries that are 4-5 years old and they are showing their age. I'm lucky to get 1/2 hour or 45 minutes of usage (using the light) before their drained. I just rotate thru them as needed. I'm planning on replacing 2 of the batteries and get 1 Dionic 90.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll go with the dionic myself. The price is not real bad Is there a cigarete lighter plugin adapter for the HD110U? I was thinking of using a 12V sealed lead acid battery for a lot of interviews and tripod shots. The prices are really cheap. like $30 for 5AH. This is the way to go for lots of power. If I can't find a lighter plugin, I'll stepdown the voltage to 7.2 volts by calculating and using a few resistors for a voltage drop.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

First thing is the website you is NOT Anton Bauer nor are the batteries shown Anton Bauer Batteries. While they may be Li-Onthey are not AB Dionics, Trimpacs, Hytrons or anything close to Anton Bauers. I've had and used Dionics and Hytrons and feel the AB Dionics are great batteries and will run an HD110 with a light plugged into the power tap for a good number of hours-I ran a JVC5000U with an AB light and a wireless receiver off of Dionics90 batteries and got about 2.5 to 3 hours out of each battery. I had 4 90s and wouldn't think of doing a job without having all 4 with me.
I've also used an HD100with the IDX 7 batteries. While they are slightly less power than the ABs they still run 71 watts vs. 90 but are about 1/2 the money. The 2 place charger is also less money than the AB charger, all things being equal. 4 IDX 7 batteries will run about $800, a charger about $500 and the mounting plate about $200. Total about $1500. AB Dionic 90s run about $365 ea ($1460) a charger about $600 and a mounting plate about $125. Total $2200 to 2300. Of course you get more run time than the IDX batteries but there are the choices. The real deals. I would stay away from the ones you showed us - check the power and wattage in the specs and also the warranty. Reputation goes a long way.
Just my opinion
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Major Player

First Question to find your answer

would be, cheapest? Do you really mean whats the cheapest replacement?

Or do you mean the cheapest improvement in batteries over the standard ridiculous JVC supplied item?

You'll find both here at
JVC GY-HD111E HD Camcorder PAL
scroll to the bottom, there's a plethora of options.

Starting with something like Roofer RF-BN-V428 Battery for JVC GR-HD1, JY-HD10, GY-DV300, GY-DV301, GY-DV300E, GY-DV301E - BNV428 for a slightly higher power version of the JVC for almost nothing.

Or if you want something thats not expensive with a bit more beef, but you don't want to run a heap of accessories off the battery then this option is good, my church just bought a couple of these as the replacement battery. We shoot live events and each battery gives you around 3 to 4 hours, and has a small power tap for a onboard light for example:
Globalmediapro DC488 Battery

Or if your after something more pro, I use the Vmount version of these batteries, if you want them in the AB version here they are, I've got 2 95Wh's and 1 160Wh, and have had no probs in 2 years, plus they have Dtaps etc.
Globalmediapro Li95A Lithium ion Battery 95WH

The sell their own version of the chargers as well, and if you treat them appropiately, as even though I haven't seen original brand name chargers, I imagine them to be a bit more toughly built, but they cost 2-3 times as much. Then the chargers are also worth looking at to keep your total cost down, mine has lasted me two years, shooting in the outback, using this charger but I'll warn you if you also looking at the charger as the ac adapter to power the camera of mains, it's only a xlr output, which is no good for the HD100 series.
Globalmediapro SCA2S 2-channel Charger/ AC Adaptor

good luck
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, I meant the cheapest replacement. Thanks Adam and Don! Globalmediapro seems like the no brainer for those of us who are financially challenged at the moment. Thank you so much for your time and effort! This made my day... you are the man Adam.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi. I think I have found the best cheapest solution. By using this attachment https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A0...tery-Extender/ you can have infinite time of power!! This dual battery extender will switch from one battery to another without switching off the camera. In the mean time you can change the drained battery and so on. You can find replacement batteries for the original battery for about $25 each. So by having quite a number of these batteries, which give you around 45min each, you can have hours of uniterrupted power. Just match the cost with other battery solutions and decide for youself.
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

George, I use that very same dual battery bracket and it works like a dream. I also purchased the less costly batteries from the various stores and it gets about 1.5 hours of use and if you drop one you are out only $25.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks George! I think this is a great option. I didn't know this adapter existed. All of you really helped me greatly and I appreciate it very much. I was really sweating the cost of AB solutions. I am trying to scrape together the budget for a documentary that I am doing in Russia in a few months.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

My unit does not completely drain the 1st battery before switching to the 2nd. It is constantly switching batteries from one to the other and back again. It seeks the battery with the highest voltage. If you pull one of the batteries it will power from the other until it is replaced.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Major Player

Before I picked up my IDX battery system and mount which also mounts my FE-DTE drive, I ordered from amazon.com a bunch of Impact factory replacement batteries for the JVC camcorders. They fit the GY-HD1 & HD10 if you remember those from 8 years ago as well as the JVC HD100 & 110. Anyway $50 to $80 and about 30% more life than the stock JVC batteries. You asked for cheapest, that is the cheapest. Pick up a half dozen for $300 and you have 6 hours of run time. The AB and IDX systems are nicer and with a HD110 I get about 3 hours per IDX battery... maybe a little more. IDX and AB systems run around $1,000 to $1,300 for charger and two batteries and mount..... maybe even more. Easier to work with, but if you swap a battery with every tape, you do just fine with the IMPACT brand of batteries. Just get the highest amperage you can. Maybe get a tape and a half out of each battery.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems