JVC HD 200 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC HD 200 Questions

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at the JVC HD 200 for my next camera. A few questions:
Will the 720 60p mode play back on the JVC BR-HD50U deck?
Has anyone tested the $600 Angenioux lens adaptor available on Ebay?
Does the 200 suffer from the firewire problem I've read about with the 100 series?
Besides the ingest time, what are the advantages to using an external hd or xdcam recorder?

Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Trustee

using an external recorder device such as firestore will save you from drop outs which you can still get on occasion even from the 200 series. I have the 100 and 200, and while the 100 has more cases of dropouts happening, the 200 still does on occasion.

Get a cheap fs-4hd. I have one and it works fine. Just a 60 gig and i have a hard time filling it up. I dont do weddings though, corporate and advertising shoots are done in shorter calculated takes.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Robinson View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at the JVC HD 200 for my next camera. A few questions:
Will the 720 60p mode play back on the JVC BR-HD50U deck?
Has anyone tested the $600 Angenioux lens adaptor available on Ebay?
Does the 200 suffer from the firewire problem I've read about with the 100 series?
Besides the ingest time, what are the advantages to using an external hd or xdcam recorder?

Thanks.
yes. 720p 60 will play back on the BR50 deck.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #4
New Boot

Greenscreen

Thanks. How good is greenscreen shooting with the JVC 200? If you wanted to capture component hd to get the footage out of hdv, what capture card would you use?
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Major Player

HDV is better than DV for greenscreen, but still has a limited color palette.
There is little to be gained, and much to be lost when capturing a tape via component. The compression and color limiting has already taken place. The digital file will give you the most information to work with, although if you are going to be modifying the footage in any way, it will be preferable to work in less lossy format - or render to one. Even for live capture from the camera, the component output is a little soft, although it might be better theoretically for some purposes. If you get the BR-HD50 deck, capturing the HDMI out is an option, but I would say it is still an inefficient option.
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks. How good is greenscreen shooting with the JVC 200? If you wanted to capture component hd to get the footage out of hdv, what capture card would you use?
I do a lot of compositing work for my corporate and TVCs. So far, I'm satisfied with the results I am getting.

My recommendation is to use after effects with a primatte plug in. It has good algorithms for resolving HDV blockiness. I also recommend you use an intermediate codec to convert the files for compositing as it will bog down after effects if you use m2ts.

In my case I use the HQ codec from Grass valley.

Ted
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #7
New Boot

Firewire Connection

Hi Guys,
I picked up a JVC hd 200 and it's working great so far. I was curious, does the 200 have the same firewire problem that I've read about from the 100? How should I hook it up to my computer without causing problems?
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Its still advisable to power off your camera before attaching firewire cable to computer.

Get an FS-4HD, not necessarily the more expensive prohd version.
I got a 60 gig version FS 4HD to capture smaller sized m2t files and its really a life saver. I never got to a point it fills up even for a shoot that spans several days.

I usually do corporate videos which require just short takes per scene though.

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; August 5th, 2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added text/
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Major Player

$600 angenioux lens adapter? whats that?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #10
New Boot

Here's the cinema adapter I was talking about.

Welcome! Cineadapter~

I tried to digitize my footage and the computer isn't seeing the camera. I hope I didn't blow the firewire board. If I did, can I use a Canon HV30 or other inexpensive solution to digitize with?
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #11
Trustee

no. only the jvc cam or the jvc deck can playback the m2t files.

what are you using to capture?
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #12
New Boot

I have Newtek Speededit, Avid MC, and Vegas Video, but my various computers aren't seeing the camera. Will there be any indication that the camera is recognized in the computers? Within Speededit, the camera doesn't show in the capture window.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Here's the cinema adapter I was talking about.

Welcome! Cineadapter~
Given the sheer number of spelling errors on that page in reference to manufacturers, I PERSONALLY would steer clear.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Wrangler

IF you are in the market for a Nikon to JVC adapter I recommend Mike Tapa's Nikon G adapter. Mike is a helpful guy, a contributor here at DVi, and makes top-notch products.
I have been testing this adapter and it is very cool. It even works with G lenses that don't have an aperture ring.
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I picked up a JVC hd 200 and it's working great so far. I was curious, does the 200 have the same firewire problem that I've read about from the 100? How should I hook it up to my computer without causing problems?
Yes the hd 200 is as vulnerable as any other camera.
You must avoid the following.

1) Plugging or unplugging a firewire connection whilst either the camera or the computer is switched on.
(In other words switch off both the camera and computer before you plug or unplug any firewire device)

2) Switching between DV and HDV on the camera firewire output whilst the camera is on and connected to a computer.

Increase your protection dramatically by using a firewire protection gadget from Kramer PT=1FW.

Generally, it is often difficult to get computers (both MAC and PC) to see the JVC. Generally you will not see any indication that the computer has seen the HDV device until the program actually sees it. If the program is not seeing the camera then I would firstly check your capture settings to make sure that the capture program is set to exactly the correct flavour of HDV, secondly I would check the firewire out settings in the camera menu, thirdly I would then switch everything off and then check that the firewire switch which is mentioned above is set to HDV. Then turn on your computer and allow it to boot, and then turn on your camera making sure that it is set to tape mode (not camera mode) and then open the program. If this does not work then reboot the computer and open the program, you may need to do this several times before the camera will appear. It should eventually appear.

If this doesn't work then shut down everything and then switch to DV (firewire switch) and place a recorded DV tape and see if the computer will see the camera. On a PC you should be able to see the camera in the MY COMPUTER SCREEN.

Note that if the DV firewire circuit is working it does not mean that the HDV circuit is working as both circuits run through differant chips.

If you don't see the camera then you may have a cable problem or a blown firewire board.

A nasty question is that seeing you just purchased the camera, were both transfer circuits working when you received the camera.???

regards
Ian Skurrie
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems