What is your method for achieving great slo-mo clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is your method for achieving great slo-mo clips?

Anyone care to share their secrets? I have the HD110 and would love to get great slo-mo shots with it. Can this be done shooting 24P or do you need 30P?
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #2

Depends on what NLE you're using. The FLUID MOTION effect in Avid is excellent. Starting form 30 fps works much better than starting from 24 fps, true regardless of which NLE you use.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Trustee

I have intercut 480 60P scenes in a 720 24P timeline in several projects when i was still shooting with our HD100 and had no problems.

As long as the scenes are short, they intercut well.

If you dont like the idea of using 480 p then Bill Ravens advice holds true.

I currently use an HD200 with 720 60P and I use this on a 24p timeline when i want great slo mo. Keep in mind to use a higher framerate (100 up) for a more fluid motion.

Ted

If you want to see a project i did with the hd100 with slo mos using 480p intercut with HD footage heres a link;

BBC 60sec TVC HD By Ted Ramasola On ExposureRoom
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I mainly use Edius 5 now after switching from Avid MC, which I still have. Shooting with SD 60i was simple to slo-mo. Just slow the clips down to 50% on the timeline and they looked fine. So the faster shutter speed is the key for slo-mo? I'll experiment with 30P as well. Thanks!

Ted - Do you still use your DIY skater dolly that I saw over on another site? I would love to have one of these babies! I don't have the tools to build something of that magnitude. The PS model is way to expensive for me...
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Trustee

Tom,

I use edius too and to get great slo mo, i shoot the scene at 60P.

I usually edit in a 24p timline. So after creating a 24p project I drop the 60p clip onto the timeline, change its clip properties --> framerate --> from 59.94 to 23.98. This gives the best and smooth slo mo without using software interpolation via NLE speed change.

if you use a shutter speed less than a hundred moving scenes will have motion blur so to appreciate the effect go for higher shutter speeds.

Yeah! I use the plywood skater all the time. I have given away hundreds of diagrams to those who want to make one. Shoot me an email at tedramasola@yahoo.com and i'll send you 1:1 ratio vector plans so you can simply trace it onto a material you want. or you can give it to a carpenter to make one for you. Just indicate which file you like, corel or illustrator.

Ted
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6

Be careful when you shoot 60i or 60p and change the framerate to 30P. Some NLE's, including older versions of Edius, will simply drop 1 field, resulting in a loss of resolution. 60P is not a common format, as of yet. NLE's that don't handle 60p will import the clip as 60i.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Bill,

60P is easily accepted on the edius platform. I use 4.5 and while its not a a popular end product framerate its easily managed by edius. 60i is also recognized. Edius has the presets for both kinds.

I had no problems with edius recognizing the right framerate in my use of m2ts and HQ files. I can't be sure about other file types though like mov or the sony EX file type.
But since Tom uses the JVC hd100, I know he either uses m2ts or HQ.

I do know that 4.5 doesnt recognize the sony ex-1/3 files and only version 5 does.

If a clip is imported differently however, one simply goes to clip properties and change framerate to the rate the editor wants.

Ted

p.s, Bill, looking at your location, do you know of a still landscape photographer from sta fe named Tim Fitzharris? He recently came to my island last February to shoot a feature for the first time.

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; May 29th, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: corrected info
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Bill,

I saw in your sig that you use cineform, do you use it in conjunction with edius or with your avid setup?

Ted
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You could try with Twixtor, it's a software that can simulate slow motion in post-production, and it's very good at it.

RE:Vision Effects, Inc. : Products: Twixtor

It's avaible for the major editing and compositing programs...

You can even download a demo from the website, so you can try it before buying.... (it's not cheap...)

Last edited by Jordi Dusanek; May 31st, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks! Twixtor looks awesome. I have Affter Effects so this is a must have plugin. This solves a lot of headaches.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems