Br hd50 rant at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 31st, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Br hd50 rant

The whole JVC Pro HD series has been mediocre at best since the beginning. The number of compaints in this forum is a testimony to that fact (split clips, split screens, fragile Firewire connectors etc.).

I have a 100 series camera and the HD50 deck. The deck was just declared dead after only a few hundred hours. One day it just stopped behaving like a controllable HDV deck: I could see the HDV picture and it would function perfecty in DV mode, but not be visible to any editing station in HDV mode.

After speaking with JVC maintenace on the phone, I sent it in to an authorized JVC repair facility that determined that I needed a new chip on the main board, but that they were not certain that this would fix the problem. The cost $500. Fine I said. Weeks later, they called to say that the new chip did not fix the problem, that because they had to "cut out" the old chip, my deck was now as a totally useless deck. It coldn'y even play DV tapes anymore. Thanks guys.

The new repair cost for this low use deck is now more than 50% of its original new puchase price. Ridiculous since I sent them a reasonably working unit and they are sending back a dead machine. I will just pay Fed Ex to ship the hunk of metal back for a shrine and end my temporary detour into the world of Pro HD.

Too bad, I still like the form factor of these cameras and the 700 looked interesting but professionals have to count on more reliable gear and much better maintenance solutions.

I said this was going to be a rant, but also a lesson for amny I hope.

J. Menard
Jacques Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jaques, warranty period didn't applicable on these breakdowns?
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Let them keep it and don't pay.

And there's the car repair rule: ask them if this will FIX the problem, and tell them to put it in writing before they can charge a dime.

And they should have told you that their fix for HDV play would take away the ability of the deck to play DV. This sounds like an official complaint to the state, business bureaus, etc. is in order.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

They couldn't fix their own deck? They broke it even more? They owe you a new deck. They're gonna lose customers with service like this and then it will stink for all the JVC users.
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post
They couldn't fix their own deck? They broke it even more? They owe you a new deck. They're gonna lose customers with service like this and then it will stink for all the JVC users.
That's customer service JVC style.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks

You guys made me want to fight this. You are right. I'll keep you posted.
Jacques Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

jvc service

I'm not a fan of JVC service. I had to send my camera there 5 times before they fixed it right. It's been a little over a year and the problem is coming back. Here's send back #6.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems