DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   ProHD-originated films airing this summer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/237009-prohd-originated-films-airing-summer.html)

Tim Dashwood June 8th, 2009 09:58 PM

ProHD-originated films airing this summer

A couple films I shot with the HD100 and 13x3.5 lens are airing on Superchannel in Canada this Summer.

This one is a feature-length suspense/comedy. It was well received at the few festivals it screened at.

This one is a feature-length mock-doc made up of HD doc footage (HD100) and SD hidden camera (consumer mini-DV.) The reviews were lackluster but if you are a fan of The Beatles (or just John Lennon) then you'll probably enjoy the music.

Also this month "Air Knob" will be shown at the Worldwide Short Film Festival June 20 at 7:15. I shot this film in one afternoon with the HD200, HZ-CA13U and a Russian Kinor 10-100 zoom.

"On a quiet residential street, two men battle for love, passion and glory. But in air guitar war, there are only losers."

Marc Colemont June 10th, 2009 04:09 AM

Hi Tim,

Will they come out on Blue Ray some time?
As we don't have the SuperChannel here in Europe.

Tom Koveleskie June 10th, 2009 09:31 AM

Tim do you have trailers posted for them? Would love to see the if they are available in the US or online somewhere? I love to see other people's work, and especially if it is shot with JVC PRO HD cams.

Tim Dashwood June 10th, 2009 09:35 AM

The first region is Canada. I'll let you know when the producers make sales to other regions.

K. Tessman June 12th, 2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Koveleskie (Post 1156676)
Tim do you have trailers posted for them?

Bull, at least, has one.

You can even watch it in (MPEG-4 compressed) 720p by clicking on the little "HD" to the bottom-left of the trailer.

Tim Dashwood June 12th, 2009 03:01 PM

Thanks Kent.

One more film I forgot before... The Agoraphobe is being screened this month at the "ReelHeart Film Festival" in Toronto. I shot this one with JVC's PL adapter, Zeiss Primes and an upside-down Sony Z7.

Tim Dashwood June 15th, 2009 12:20 PM

The Worldwide Short Film Festival has posted the trailer to Air Knob on Youtube.
YouTube - Air Knob Trailer

There wasn't much to lighting this one (just a reflector) and I think the total budget went towards lunch and craft-service, but it was one of those short films that had a great script as a backbone.

This trailer represents the image captured directly by the HD200 with Kinor lens. I recently colour corrected the screening master and increased the contrast.

Tom Koveleskie June 17th, 2009 07:49 AM

Bull looks amazing! Definitely will be looking for it. Tim what did you shoot this with? Your cinematography is A+. Really quite brilliant. Congratulations.

I am not worthy! (as he bows down)

Tim Dashwood June 19th, 2009 09:21 PM

Bull was shot with the HD100A and the 13x3.5mm Fujinon lens. The basic concept was to capture a "digital negative" for colour correction in post and I supplemented that by turning down the detail and controlling the lighting as much as possible (primarily to avoid clipping.) Our lighting package was very small and the only sets that were actually sets (and not real locations) were the interrogation room and the police station. Unfortunately the offices were real and very cramped so they were difficult to light and work in. I basically had the gaffers hang a bunch of long-4 KinoFlos and they ran all the cabling through the dropped ceiling so we had room to move the dolly around. We 85ND'd the windows but they also had a green tint to them that Kent worked diligently on in post. In hindsight I should have also gelled them with minus-green (magenta).
The lighting/grip package all fit in a 20' cube truck and we rented big lights (4K & 10K HMIs) on the days we needed them.

BTW, some Air Knob reviews are being published just in time for the big screening on Saturday.
WSFF 2009 – Canadian Comedy Shorts Canadian Film Dose

TheSpec.com - Entertainment - Duelling air guitars light it up on film

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/wsff...ogram-preview/

Tim Dashwood July 5th, 2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Koveleskie (Post 1156676)
Tim do you have trailers posted for them?

I was just informed that the Bull trailer has hit the Apple Movie Trailers site.

Apple - Movie Trailers

Direct link: Apple - Movie Trailers - Bull

The blacks are a little muddy on my mac but it probably looks OK on Windows.

Joe Bowey July 8th, 2009 10:28 AM

What did you use to record your audio? Excellent film.

K. Tessman July 8th, 2009 02:15 PM

For Bull, location audio was recorded to a separate portable four-track mixer/hard-disk digital Nagra recorder at 48 kHz, 16-bit uncompressed. Typically the recording inputs were one boom and one or more wireless microphones, and a combination of these was used in the mix. The boom usually provided pretty good coverage but with a fair amount of ambient bleed. The wireless microphones were used to fill out the bottom and provide the desired richness and depth. The most complex scenes had about 50 separate tracks in the mix between dialogue and sfx.

More detail on the production and post processes can be found in the production journal at www.bullthemovie.com.

Robert Rogoz July 9th, 2009 08:58 AM

Tim, you are the man. Out of curiosity how wide (in 35 mm) is the Fujinon 13x3.5 lens?

Jack Walker July 9th, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1169322)
Tim, you are the man. Out of curiosity how wide (in 35 mm) is the Fujinon 13x3.5 lens?

It is 24 mm.