DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD200: what image improvements are there over the HD110? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/237104-hd200-what-image-improvements-there-over-hd110.html)

Bill Edmunds June 10th, 2009 09:22 AM

HD200: what image improvements are there over the HD110?

I am familiar with the HD 100/110 images. What improvements in image quality does the HD200 offer? I know about the 60p, but I'm more interested in noise levels, f-stop speed in low light, chroma aberration, dead pixels, and SSE. Anything you can tell me is helpful. I currently shoot with a Canon XH A1 for comparison purposes besides the HD110.

Marc Colemont June 11th, 2009 03:17 AM

When I upgraded my HD100 to HD251, I compared them next to each other before I sold my HD100.
I used a DSC-chart and OnLocation with Wave-Scope to check the levels.
(Both with the Stock lens to have a real comparison).
The HD-251 was about one stop more sensitive.
With the higher internal resolution (and using Tim Dashwoods preset scenes) more latitude is possible in post too. With the 13x lens it is even better

Sharon Pieczenik June 12th, 2009 05:07 PM

Many Problems with 110

Hi,

I would highly suggest not buying the 110 series. When I bought it, the camera was embedding major issues into the tape where there would be timecode breaks and dropouts so that you couldn't ingest a full tape of footage to edit in final cut. After a year and a half of JVC denying the problem and people pressuring them about it...their solution was to tell you to buy an expensive Hard Disk Drive Recorder and run your tape from your camera into the recorder into your computer/laptop.

This, of course, created degrading in the image. It also created problems with audio and video not matching up. It also created a very noisy floor level to the audio that my post people had a hard time trying to get rid of.

The people with the 100 series didn't have this problem. The people with the 200 series don't have this problem. I have only heard of people with the 110U having this problem. A year or so ago I took the camera to a JVC place in Los Angeles and they did an upgrade to it that they could only do - a friend shot a full tape of HDV on it the other day and said that it was totally working in terms of ingesting into final cut. Oh, did I mention this problem was not with SD but only HDV?

Of course you don't know who I am, but I promise you that I had many many tech savvy people helping me through all these issues and now all of them stay very far away from JVC in general and definitely the 110U specifically.

Cheers,
Sharon

ps - I would be more than happy to talk to you about it. 406-579-7477

Shaun Roemich June 12th, 2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Pieczenik (Post 1157823)
Hi,

The people with the 200 series don't have this problem.

Not true. I have issues with Stream breaks with my 200Ub's in both FCP6.02 and now 6.0.5.

Sharon Pieczenik June 12th, 2009 07:59 PM

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I stand corrected.

Juan Todoli June 13th, 2009 01:13 AM

Absolutly cero problems with my 110 (E) model in 6 months so far. And working without deck for miniDV tapes, just using the camera in VTR mode in all this time to ingest on Final Cut.

Good look Sharon.

Shaun Roemich June 13th, 2009 03:50 PM

I SHOULD add, the problems I have with stream breaks are in HDV capture of 60P material. Capturing directly to ProRes has been absolutely problem free.

Tom Koveleskie June 13th, 2009 07:49 PM

Just curious. What happens when you get a stream break? Does it stop capturing or do you end up getting many small files captured where the breaks were? I am using my HD110 for capturing until I get a deck.

Shaun Roemich June 14th, 2009 09:45 AM

In MY case, I get a warning and capture stops (in HDV capture). I HAVE changed "On Timecode Breaks" to "Warn After Capture" and NOT "Abort".

In ProRes, it captures up to the stream break (USUALLY just a tape start/stop) and uses my PreRoll amount (down to 1 second) until it starts capturing again (losing about 1 second of material).